I had my bathroom door locked and someone forced it open and now the lock won’t work. How do I fix it?

I have a bathroom door lock that you just push in the hole with a Bobby pin and it will unlock. My son is having a bunch of friends spend the night so I locked my bathroom door so they wouldn’t go in there and one of the boys decided to keep pulling on the handle until he got it open while it was locked. Now the lock won’t work and I’m so mad!!! How do I fix it?! 

• Joe
    Favorite Answer

There's a possibility that he shifted things so that the latch no longer fits into the strike plate in the door frame.  You may be able to push it back into place, or tap in in with a hammer.

But chances are that you will have to replace the knob assembly.  The thing you need is called a "privacy lockset".  Home Depot sells them for 15 - 20 (which should probably come out of your son's allowance).

They are not difficult to replace if you're at all handy.

• Joe

Bet you're feeling pretty good about your D-I-Y skills, now.  :-)

There's enough "play" in these things that sometimes, taking it apart and putting it together again will fix it.

Thanks for the BA.

You go to ANY store and buy a new bad/bath privacy lock. It took you longer to post the question than it should take to install the replacement.

get a hook and lock and install it onto the door and jamb

• mokrie

You will probably have to buy a new door knob and lock. Why didn't you take a moment to TELL the boys not to go in that bathroom and that it was locked? Learn to speak up.

• ashley8 months agoReport

What does me telling the boys not to go in there have anything to do with help to fix it?! I didn’t ask for advise how I should, should not, or should have handled the situation.... I asked for advise on how to fix my lock.... that is it! Your answer was completely irrelevant to the question!!!

• Lili

Hire a locksmith, for heaven's sake!

What else would you do?

And have him install a much better lock.

• STEVEN F

A locksmith will charge more to SHOW UP than the cost of replacing the lockset and anyone that can operate a screw driver can do the job in less time than it takes for the locksmith to show up.