Why does projector turn off then on after running for a while?

Projector is an Epson 730HD. If I stream a movie from the smart DVD player(Netflix). After about an 1.5hr or so it starts to turn off momentarily every 30 sec to a minute. Gets real annoying. Is it the projector? The DVD player? Projector getting too hot? Cable problem? None of the lights on the projector turn on like the lamp is overheating or anything. I don’t know much about projectors. But I also don’t know if it’s the DVD player, but it doesn’t seem like it would be the DVD player as you can still hear sound during the momentary black out, and you can hear the projector gargling when it blacks out.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Overheating is a possibility, especially if you are using an off market replacement lamp, do not clean your filters as the manual suggests, or have a bad fan. Fans should not "turn off after the projector starts" , rather, start up at a minimum immediately after the lamp strikes, and continue running right up until a couple minutes after the unit is shut off, since the lamp will continue to generate heat for a while. The lamps generate enormous amounts of heat, which needs to be vented while in operation. A projector will turn on and usually show a built in wallpaper even if not connected to any source, so your  up unttsource devices have nothing to do with shut down. Lamp life protection circuits may shut down a projector after the set max lamp life hours of operation expectancy is reached, or curtail the time for operation, as a safety feature. You may have an expired lamp.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Probably overheating. 

Make sure all ventilation slots are dust-free and that any filters are clean. 

Also make sure all fans (some projectors have three or four!) are functioning.

They do fail.

• stingray45402 months agoReport

You know, I hear the fans running when it starts up, but not when it’s running. But there aren’t any over hearing lights coming on either. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• 2 months ago

Try posting this to a relevant section. Home theater is NOT about projectors.

• ...Show all comments
    • ANDRE L
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

No, home theater is about the AUDIO gear that is used at home. For video gear, that's what the TV subsection is for, and as projectors are VIDEO devices, the TV section if where such questions should go, unless one is stupid and/or a troll.

• Lv 7
    2 months ago

check the projector settings.

if none, try firmware update.

otherwise, time for a new projector.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Sounds like overheating.

Make sure any air intakes and exhaust vents aren't blocked and any filters are clean

Keep at least 6 inches clearance on all sides of the projector for air circulation.

• stingray45402 months agoReport

It’s mounted to a ceiling mount so it has infinite clearance on all sides. I’ll have to see if it has any air filters to check

• Mr. P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Could be an overheat problem in a power supply somewhere. Check with a different video source as soon as it starts happening - like from a PC or live TV.

If it is the projector take it up with Epson.

• 2 months ago

First, check all of the cables. Reinsert them. Try different cables. Then, make sure the projector is clean and free of dust.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.