Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

How long ago did doctors used to visit patient home to do checkup?

My grandfather who passed away in 2016 at age 97 said that most of his life docs used to visit home.

I highly doubt that's true and have difficulty believing. 

• Sam

I remember a doctor giving me a shot at home when I was 4 in the early 50's

Actually there are a few doctors today who are going back to the practice of home visit.  

i was last year treated by a visiting nurse practitioner who could order me tests with hospital departments without referring me back to my gp. she was part of a team with similar qualifications aimed at patients who were not mobile enough to get to the medical centre. she could also prescribe medications directly from the pharmacy and medical equipment. apparently to cut gp surgery time, it worked well.

In the U.K. doctors used to visit those too ill to get to their surgery.  It is almost impossible these days to get a doctor to visit us at home.  If I say I am too ill to get to the bus stop to then get to the surgery they say "Call for a taxi".  Others will say "I'll get a prescription sent to you".  They can miraculously tell exactly what is wrong with you without seeing you and maybe having never met you before either. They just look at a person's notes and think they know what's needed . Our health service was once the envy of the world but not these days, it's pathetic. I think it's a ploy to get us all to seek private health care.  The N.H.S. is virtually dead now but the government will still wish to take part of our pay each week to pay for the defective 'service' that we don't even get anyway.

• drip

It was a common practice for doctors. Especially in small towns.  In big cities doctors often had a neighborhood or two they serviced. 

Doctors would make their rounds in the morning in visiting g patients who were sick, elderly or recouping. Now doctors make their rounds at the hospital Many of my mother’s siblings were born at home with the doctor in attendance. She was born in 1936

A doctor came to my home in 2018 when I couldn't move. 

I definitely remember home visits in the fifties when I was a young girl. Our doctor was Dr.Braxton.

We had a house call doctor in the 1950's. I also believe that doctors in the 1950's probably knew less about medical care than nurses know now.

• Frank

This is because ALL medics now have far more knowledge than they had in the 1950s but doctors still have had a far more intensive training that the nurses get.  Sadly, the nurses are given far more work than they should be doing and often are given the work of the doctors.  That is wrong.

I am 66, and can remember one home visit by my pediatrician when I was probably 8 or 9.

It was a special circumstance, and I don't think doctors made "house-calls" for general check-ups.

• oikoσ

I remember one such visit in the 1960s but it was rare even then. It was fairly common up to about 70 years ago. Why would you doubt your grandfather?

I vaguely remember this when I was a child in the early 1970s.