Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 2 months ago

How long ago did doctors used to visit patient home to do checkup?

My grandfather who passed away in 2016 at age 97 said that most of his life docs used to visit home.

I highly doubt that's true and have difficulty believing. 

32 Answers

Relevance
  • Sam
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I remember a doctor giving me a shot at home when I was 4 in the early 50's

Actually there are a few doctors today who are going back to the practice of home visit.  

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

i was last year treated by a visiting nurse practitioner who could order me tests with hospital departments without referring me back to my gp. she was part of a team with similar qualifications aimed at patients who were not mobile enough to get to the medical centre. she could also prescribe medications directly from the pharmacy and medical equipment. apparently to cut gp surgery time, it worked well.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

In the U.K. doctors used to visit those too ill to get to their surgery.  It is almost impossible these days to get a doctor to visit us at home.  If I say I am too ill to get to the bus stop to then get to the surgery they say "Call for a taxi".  Others will say "I'll get a prescription sent to you".  They can miraculously tell exactly what is wrong with you without seeing you and maybe having never met you before either. They just look at a person's notes and think they know what's needed . Our health service was once the envy of the world but not these days, it's pathetic. I think it's a ploy to get us all to seek private health care.  The N.H.S. is virtually dead now but the government will still wish to take part of our pay each week to pay for the defective 'service' that we don't even get anyway.

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It was a common practice for doctors. Especially in small towns.  In big cities doctors often had a neighborhood or two they serviced. 

Doctors would make their rounds in the morning in visiting g patients who were sick, elderly or recouping. Now doctors make their rounds at the hospital Many of my mother’s siblings were born at home with the doctor in attendance. She was born in 1936

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

A doctor came to my home in 2018 when I couldn't move. 

• 2 months ago

I definitely remember home visits in the fifties when I was a young girl. Our doctor was Dr.Braxton.

• 2 months ago

We had a house call doctor in the 1950's. I also believe that doctors in the 1950's probably knew less about medical care than nurses know now.

• Frank
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

This is because ALL medics now have far more knowledge than they had in the 1950s but doctors still have had a far more intensive training that the nurses get.  Sadly, the nurses are given far more work than they should be doing and often are given the work of the doctors.  That is wrong.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I am 66, and can remember one home visit by my pediatrician when I was probably 8 or 9.

It was a special circumstance, and I don't think doctors made "house-calls" for general check-ups.

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I remember one such visit in the 1960s but it was rare even then. It was fairly common up to about 70 years ago. Why would you doubt your grandfather?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I vaguely remember this when I was a child in the early 1970s.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.