Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 year ago

Why are Third World dictators often able to stay in power for so long?

In April of this year, Omar Al-Bashir, the ruthless autocratic ruler of Sudan (my parents' home country) resigned from office following a four month-long wave of impassioned protests by citizens, many of them college students.

Bashir had been in office since 1989. To those of us who live in the West, specifically the United States, it seems essentially incomprehensible to us that a totalitarian dictator could remain in office for that long without facing any substantive opposition (although there are some factors which may help explain this phenomenon, like election fraud, voter intimidation, etc.)

So, what is the real answer here?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I thought about that at times. I really don't know other than there is something going on that mortals, so called, cannot change. Attempts were made on the life of Hitler and, more recently, Assad of Syria. They failed. There might be powers that can stop attempts at changing things in such a way.

Source(s): bisexual Christian
  • 1 year ago

HMMM, let me see

1. Dictators, who are ruthless autocrats, pretty much sums it up

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Disarm the people, control the voting, control the "news" .....all the things American liberals are trying to do.

• don
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

Its sad.The president of Malawi just refused to step down and lied about the election results.There have been months of protests and riots.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

Look at Democrats in places like St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit & New Orleans.  That should give you a clue.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Because if the country has no oil the "World Police" aren't interested in "installing Western democracy".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.