Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Do I need the comma?

Susan turned towards Alice, who shifted uncomfortably under her gaze.

Someone said the comma was not needed is this correct? thank you.

oh and could you please explain why it's not needed if possible - thank you 

Anon - I apologize. After doing research I discovered you were correct. No comma is needed thank you.

Blue, why are you getting so upset about this? All these hours later you're the only one still here. I've never seen anyone get so upset about a comma before. You caused drama on both my questions. My English Professor said no comma needed and I think he knows more than you.

Favorite Answer

Anon, if you want to put a comma there you put one. Should I have put a comma after Anon? 

Yes you need it badly 😉

Yes, it needs a comma.

• John

You could put in a semi colon.

Monkey writing becomes you. 

How about a period.

Ooo.oooo.ahhhh...ahhhh...

Do "I" need? Oh yah we all know what you are trying to say before YOU say it because we are your daddy daddy and your our special little prize.

Look it little special thing there trying to copy our great selves as we magnomuniosly ex and language throughout the world!

The lemming thinks it can copy the greats...lots of lunk!

Some answerers obviously don't know how to read this sentence. That's why they're punctuating it incorrectly.

Let's add a word to make the sentence clearer: Susan turned towards Alice, who THEN shifted uncomfortably under her gaze.

I don't think anyone would dispute the need for a comma here. The comma is essential.

It's good that you have your answer.

• bluebellbkk

But a pity that it's not correct.

No comma is needed. Strange how many people are all at sea with this. Strange BA but it's your call.

As others have stated there is no need for that comma, who the person that told you is wasn't needed was instead correct. I wont bother to go into why as anon has explained it correctly.

• Madeleine2 months agoReport

Could edit mistakes as best answer has all ready been chosen. Sorry

It is needed. It is ESSENTIAL. Without it, as I explained before, you are talking about one Alice, the one who shifted uncomfortably, but you are not talking about another Alice, an Alice who DIDN'T shift uncomfortably.

I'm really startled at the number of people who think the comma isn't necessary.

• bluebellbkk

Madeleine, I care because I like people to get things right. But please note that I'm not the one who's all agitated about it; it's you. And if  it makes you happier to think I'm posting under different names, rather than that different people independently agree with me, be my guest.

No comma is needed. So that 'someone' was correct.