Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Do I need the comma?

Susan turned towards Alice, who shifted uncomfortably under her gaze.

Someone said the comma was not needed is this correct? thank you.

Update:

oh and could you please explain why it's not needed if possible - thank you 

Update 2:

Anon - I apologize. After doing research I discovered you were correct. No comma is needed thank you.

Update 3:

Blue, why are you getting so upset about this? All these hours later you're the only one still here. I've never seen anyone get so upset about a comma before. You caused drama on both my questions. My English Professor said no comma needed and I think he knows more than you.

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Anon, if you want to put a comma there you put one. Should I have put a comma after Anon? 

• 2 months ago

Yes you need it badly 😉

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Yes, it needs a comma.

• John
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

You could put in a semi colon.

Monkey writing becomes you. 

How about a period.

Ooo.oooo.ahhhh...ahhhh...

Do "I" need? Oh yah we all know what you are trying to say before YOU say it because we are your daddy daddy and your our special little prize.

Look it little special thing there trying to copy our great selves as we magnomuniosly ex and language throughout the world!

The lemming thinks it can copy the greats...lots of lunk!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Some answerers obviously don't know how to read this sentence. That's why they're punctuating it incorrectly.

Let's add a word to make the sentence clearer: Susan turned towards Alice, who THEN shifted uncomfortably under her gaze.

I don't think anyone would dispute the need for a comma here. The comma is essential.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's good that you have your answer.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

But a pity that it's not correct.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No comma is needed. Strange how many people are all at sea with this. Strange BA but it's your call.

• 2 months ago

As others have stated there is no need for that comma, who the person that told you is wasn't needed was instead correct. I wont bother to go into why as anon has explained it correctly.

• Madeleine2 months agoReport

Could edit mistakes as best answer has all ready been chosen. Sorry

• 2 months ago

It is needed. It is ESSENTIAL. Without it, as I explained before, you are talking about one Alice, the one who shifted uncomfortably, but you are not talking about another Alice, an Alice who DIDN'T shift uncomfortably.

I'm really startled at the number of people who think the comma isn't necessary.

• ...Show all comments
    • bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Madeleine, I care because I like people to get things right. But please note that I'm not the one who's all agitated about it; it's you. And if  it makes you happier to think I'm posting under different names, rather than that different people independently agree with me, be my guest.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No comma is needed. So that 'someone' was correct.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.