Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 weeks ago

Why do Brits speak such god-awful English? ?

Examples: 

1) It seems no one in England understands the concept of subject-verb agreement. They will say "the team are running on the field" instead of "the team IS running on the field". A team is one thing but they treat it as plural. They also call the field a "pitch" which makes no sense but I digress. 

2) Archaic words- Like "whilst" 

3) Archaic spellings like "Anaemia" 

4) Misused words like "holiday". The word "holiday" has a specific meaning which is very easy to derive (ie holy day). It was never intended to be used in place of "vacation" 

5) Odd contractions like "needn't" 

6) Incorrect conjugations- "I have got" instead of the correct "I have gotten" 

@Jimmy- "American English lacks about have the words of proper" Come on. You're literally just throwing random words together. There's no way that makes sense to anyone. 

@Peter- the s and the z have different sounds. What you just typed "bastadised" would sound like basta diced which is obviously incorrect. Even if I assume you meant to put the r in there it's still wrong: Bastard iced. 

@cogito- "whilst" is archaic. Whenever it I hear it I feel like I'm supposed to respond with words like "thee" and "thou"

Instead of "needn't" we would say something like "don't need" "won't need" or "didn't need" etc depending on context. "need not" isn't something that ever comes up really. 

@Lôn

Thanks for reminding me. Brits both misspell and mispronounce aluminum. Look up the history of the word. The extra u is also incorrect. 

@Ben- There is no British person alive today who was alive when English was invented. If we could pinpoint one inventor they probably have more descendants in the US than England today. The British people of today have no more claim to inventing the language than Americans do.The only thing brits have is being born in the same place. If I was born where cherokee was invented does that make an expert even though if I've never heard or spoken it?   

• alan P
    6 days ago

I was born in England and learnt English at my mother's knee so whatever I say must be correct English by definition.

• Mamie
    1 week ago

The British and Americans are two peoples separated by the same language.  (GBS).  

P.S.  Isn't everyone pretty much sick and tired of these English/American fights?   Two cultures, two versions of the language. Period.  I don't see many questions about why Australians or Jamaicans don't speak "proper" English.

• bluebellbkk
      4 days agoReport

I agree, Mamie. It's silly and childish. It's clear that our two languages have developed in two different directions. It would be strange if they HADN'T.

• 1 week ago

The Brits have their customs and we in the USA have our customs. As for team, words such as that can be a bit tricky as to whether they are singular or plural. It depends on whether the writer is considering the members as one unit, or are considering the team as consisting of individuals.

formeng

• bluebellbkk
      4 days agoReport

That is of course the issue. Americans are strict about this: 'singular noun needs a singular verb'  - but in the UK we allow some flexibility.

• Lôn

1)Only a minority would say " the team are".

2) Whilst and amongst are NOT archaic, it's Yanks who can't understand them.

3) Anaemic and paedophile are the correct spellings.

4) Gotten is incorrect English, only rednecks /hillbillies would use it.

5) Needn't is correct..."need not" just as could not becomes couldn't.

6) Yanks have something against the letter 'u' they mis-spell : honour, savour, saviour, colour, aluminium.

• Lôn
      2 weeks agoReport

The original aluminum was changed to the OFFICIAL aluminium to go along with the -ium of most of the other elements. I suppose you yanks say lithum, magnesum and chromum too? I wouldn't be surprised.

The British not only created gave the world the English language, they also created America, it's culture and its political system. All the founding fathers of America were British (mostly English) and the vast majority of the population at the time of the revolution (up till the late 19th century) were of British descent.

Either you're trolling in the hope of deliberately stirring us up, or you're an ignorant idiot.

Honestly I don't know which I would prefer.

If you really believe that any of the examples of English that you've produced are in any way 'wrong' rather than merely different, you badly need educating.

• RE
      1 week agoReport

That said, he's also an ignorant idiot. Not either/or but both/and. ;<} 

That is the way they talk. They think they are smarter than Americans but they sound funny. 

I'm an American and I know the difference between lie and lay. They just use a different meaning for the same word.

They say chips and we say cookies. We say football. It sounds like they say futeball when they say it...

We say basketball. It sounds like baskeet ball when they say it. Brits are intelligent but they talk different.

• Cogito
      2 weeks agoReport

Actually, we say 'biscuits' and you say 'cookies', and we say 'chips' when you say 'fries'.

• Dj2541

Words  like  "whilst"  are  great  words  and  all those  words that  are  correctly  spelt like anAEmia are  correct and not  just  some lazy  illiterate version  and if  we  are  talking  about archaic,  why  do Mericans  have "Fall"  instead of  the  correct  modern  term  "Autumn"????

• bluebellbkk
      4 days agoReport

They have 'Fall' for perfectly good reasons which nobody needs to excuse. Just as we have 'autumn', which nobody needs to excuse.

You probably got in a row with one online didn't you?

You realize when over here we lost the advantage of speaking the best English as it stayed where it began and prospered. In the US we kept up our own version of the English language which is a little different than the rest of the world.