Phil
Lv 4
Phil asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 2 months ago

What do you think of the need to have a special voting photo id with you before you can vote?

Apparently they are necessary in the world's largest democracy these days.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Tmess2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

And they have had problems with people creating fake voting IDs.  Which is ultimately the problem with voting IDs.  

The issue is whether the level of in-person vote fraud is significant enough to put everybody through the hassle of getting an ID, particularly when any large scale vote fraud operation will then start creating fraudulent IDs to get around that requirement.

In the U.S., the overwhelming majority of vote fraud falls into two categories:  people intentionally voting using an old address or the address of a relative (typically to support a friend or family member running in that district) and absentee ballot fraud (typically ballot harvesting operations like the one in North Carolina),   The first is hard to cure by any ID requirement because many people do not update their ID when they move (instead waiting until it is about to expire) which means that using ID to verify address actually keeps out more valid votes than invalid votes.  The second situation would not be solved by an ID requirement because the voting authority never sees the person during the voting process.

I don't know what problems India has had with fraud that led them to the ID requirements.  Some of the older democracies, for now at least, do not require any particular form of ID.  The UK is thinking about an ID requirement but for now is mostly on the "honor system" just requiring you to know your name and address.  Canada allows a person to use their choice of ID from a multitude of forms of identification including things like bank statement, employee ID cards, etc.  My state used to follow the Canadian rule but like many other states have now gone to a government-issued ID requirement which is sort of hypocritical considering that it was one of the last holdouts to complying with the requirements of the federal Real ID Act to reduce falsified IDs (and went to the photo ID requirement before it minimally complied with the Real ID Act).

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

When I first started voting about 50 years ago, you have to show your Id and sign a register. I see nothing wrong with that and wish we still had to .

• 2 months ago

Other countries do.. why is the U.S. so backward...

• Kieth
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

In every amendment giving the right to vote, it distinctly says "citizen." Funny how liberals say that means anyone with an address, but the Second Amendment means that only the military can have guns.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Brian
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Last I heard, the world's largest democracy was India.

• Phil
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

yes, you are correct. That is the example of a country that says you need photo id to vote.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

As long as they are free and easily obtained, I'm all for it.

Even better would be a government that was beholden to the people rather than corporations via lobbyists.

Maybe then our votes would actually count for more than just the presidency.

• zeno
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It's a matter of national security. Elections

Are important because too many fake votes

Can steal elections and put very bad people

In office. But we need to terminate liberal

States allowing illegals to get drivers licenses

And other photo ID cards they can use to

Vote. Liberals are against democracy and

Honest elections. And behave like criminals

And the mafia with organized crime.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

What democracy would that be?

• Phil
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

The Republic of India.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.