In January I will probably go the Mexico, and also Acapulco is on the travel list. How safe is that place? I read a lot of negative stuff?

I am not American, but Dutch. I know Mexicans are not so happy with the current American policies regarding border issues and such, but how do they impact other tourists visiting this area. I am a little nervous about all the articles I read, that there is a lot murder, kidnapping for ransoms, shootings etc in that city.

Mexicans are evil people

Just FYI, a report by the Citizens’ Council for Public Security and Criminal Justice found that five out of six of the world’s most violent municipalities were in Mexico, where homicides have risen to historic levels in recent years amid a military-led war against criminal groups.

Take care and be safe. 

• Lili

Well, many tourists visit Acapulco, and it's basically safe for visitors, but you should watch your back. As in any tourism hot spot, there are a lot of petty criminals looking to pick-pocket and purse-snatch. And don't try to buy drugs or do anything else illegal, because it will put you into contact with people from the seamier side of Mexican life, and that side of life in Mexico is very dangerous.

Personally, I wouldn't visit Mexico at the moment, but people I know -- Americans who actually live there -- tell me that the tourist draws really are safe.

Edit: Americans are not being attacked or killed because of border policies. The problem is the drug cartels, and the violence in which they engage can affect any tourist from any country.

• Eastside Guz

My wife happens to be from Acapulco and she has her son´s family living with us in Los Angeles. As long as you stay close to Avenida Costera Miguel Aleman you will be in the tourist zone. Red Fox & Lili advised you correctly because my wifes cousins were killed there at 2:30 am near La Jaiba Locca.