Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

Can my dad adopt me?

My dad (well the person who I consider my dad) is my half sibling's parent and has always wanted to adopt me and my sister but he said that he can't because A) he isn't in a relationship with my mum anymore and B) my biological father had cut off all contact with me and my sister like 6 years ago so we won't be able to get his consent.

Would he be able to adopt me and my sister despite that or not? If it matters then I live in the south-west of England.

• Ocimom

You would need to talk to a lawyer that deals in adoption to have your questions answered.  In the USA, the biofather would need to give up his rights for any adoption to take place.

Adoption is statutory in the US and in England because there was no adoption at traditional "common law." Read the statutes concerning adoption where you live.

Why can't you look up the adoption rules for England exactly?

No you aren't available for adoption

• Tavy

No chance both of your parents would have to give permission in the U.K.