Why do some people go crazy shopping and spending money,during the holidays that they really do not have?

• audrey

They want to impress people.

Because of capitalism, which sucks.

• P.L.

Regarding Christmas, because they feel that whatever other people's children are having for the event their children must have the same or, at least, items of the same value.  When my children were small we did not ask what they wanted, we did the choosing and bought items within our budget. As they grew older we did ask if there was something in particular that they would like but they knew we had a budget so, if they chose one expensive thing that might be all they had whereas, if their choice was modest they would receive more items.

For birthdays it was virtually the same routine, some they could choose and some were surprises. During other holidays we did not do gift giving. They had pocket money and what they did with it was up to them but if they wasted it there was no more.

They knew that their dad was not a big earner and I was a fulltime housewife.  They also knew that we took no notice of what other parents bought for their kids.  I have never allowed others to bully, intimidate or shame me into buying things for my kids just because 'they' were buying them for their kids.  I know how to be original and was - in most things.

• Mandy

I don’t care what other people choose to do with their money.