Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCommuting · 2 months ago

If traveling faster than the flow of traffic on US freeways. Is it okay to remain in the left lane?

I will always yield to faster traffic by moving over to the right lane. Also, if I see ahead of me that traffic is light or that I m not approaching the next vehicle on the right lane quickly I will move over.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Several states have laws that REQUIRE you to remain in the RIGHT lane, except when passing other vehicles. The LEFT lane of the freeway is strictly for passing, and you can be cited for "hanging out" in the Left lane.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

They call it the Passing Lane.  You are NOT suppose to remain in it.  This is also the EMERGENCY VEHICLE LANE FOR  COPS AMBULANCES AND FIRE TRUCKS FLASHING THE RED LIGHTS.  You do want them to get to possibly your house to put out the fire, don't you? So stay to the left.   It is also written in the Driver's Training Manual.  

If you are travelling faster then you are speeding and the speed signs apply to your lane too.  Fines are quadrupled because the cop then does a safety check on your car and that means the drugs he will find and your butt is in the sling.

• 2 months ago

That's fine.Just keep an eye out for the clown closing  in on you going 95.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Depends on the state. Do the signs say "keep right except to pass"? Then move over after passing. I know for a fact that in Texas, even if you are the only one on the road at 3 am and you are in the left lane, you will get a ticket

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

NO  im from uk ..but have visited 36 states ..driven around america from seattle to san diego ..key west ..buffalo etc ...both ways as well as other long drives ..99.9 drivers from the states would fail our driving test ...you have zero lane discipline ...you overtake both sides ...over here we drive faster than you ..but we know what drivers around us will do ...not so you guys ...our death rates are much lower than yours 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If you are speeding you can still get a ticket.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yeah it's fine as long as you move over when someone is going faster than you.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The rule is the same as Germany: ride right.

We just don't enforce our rules.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The law says that if there is some one directly behind you, you have to move over. Doesnt matter what speed youre going, doesnt matter if youre going the speed limit or 20 miles over the speed limit. If some one is on your azz, you get over. Further more the law says the left lane is only to pass, so if youre not passing some one, you get over

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.