Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Health & Safety · 2 months ago

16 y/o traveling with 18 y/o?

My friend and I want to go on a trip to Europe this summer. I'll be 16 and she'll be 18 at the time we leave. Is this reasonable or should we reconsider?

your friend will need a credit card ..in her name ...hotels/ motels wont accept cash 

• MS

Depending on where you are starting from, you may need written and notarized permission of your parents allowing you to leave the country without them.  It should indicate your 18-year-old friend as your "guardian" while traveling.  

Another consideration is that many places will not rent rooms to individuals under 21.  This is true of many hotels and Airbnbs all across Europe.  Europe does have a hostel system that is more friendly to young travelers than those in the US, but there are still often rules about minors.  

• MS

Yes, each individual Airbnb host can set their own age restrictions for their properties.  The absolute minimum is 18, but you'll find that it's very common for the minimum to be 21 or even 25, especially in toursity areas. 

Depends on where you plan on staying.  Many hotels have a requirement that at least one person be 21 or more.  Hostels are cheaper, and may be more lenient on age.  Make sure the places you are staying are ok with your ages. Further, I'm assuming you will be using public transportation, as it's highly unlikely that any car rental places would rent to an 18 year old.  

It really depends on who you are as people, but in general I think it's totally reasonable. Just make sure to plan important things ahead, like insurance, money and major reservations, and try to behave more responsibly than you would under direct supervision. Aside from that, it's not rare for kids your age to have their own children. You can for sure handle Europe. We're not that dangerous.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you trust her and she's a good friend.