Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 6 months ago

Why isnt Thanksgiving as big or commercially hyped up as Christmas and Halloween?

ya but you have to pay money for the food

Favorite Answer

Because it's a holiday made for a specific country, The United States. Besides, it's pretty morbid. We're basically celebrating how European settlers betrayed the natives of this country by enslaving them and killing them off in return for their kindness. That's why I personally don't celebrate it. If you like to celebrate it because of food; it's not my problem. I'm not gonna get offended if people like something I dont . People just need to remember what it's really about.

• Killmouseky

Wrong in that Canada has long celebrated Thanksgiving.  We follow the tradition begun by Sir Martin Frobisher in 1578 - that is, 41 years before the U.S. date.  

I think its because Christmas and Halloween are more advertised by company! Their is more merchandise! It has more songs! When it comes down to it, you pay more for presents, music, and food.  

Isn't it?

I thought it was.

But if it isn't, it won't take too long to become so...

• Athena

You don't give away things at Thanksgiving. You just give thanks.

Because retailers & Madison Ave haven't figured out how to sell us more junk that we don't need that's associated with Thanksgiving

It is busy being used to hype Christmas as a commercial holiday.

Well I think it is .., look at the billions of turkeys sold gobble gobble :) 

I remember growing up in the 70s and it was a big deal then. There were actual decorations sold and stores even decorated for Thanksgiving.

Over the years it's become less commercialized and it seems to follow the trend of people disliking colonialism. 

It's still the busiest travel day of the year, but I really think that's only because after 10 months of working and struggling people want to get away and enjoy a family holiday, not because they really want to celebrate a holiday which revolves around giving thanks and celebrating anything American.

People just wanna get away and eat good food.

• Fred

I remember being shocked as a young child when Christmas store shelves were packed with Christmas items before Thanksgiving.   Now they show up before Halloween!

cost effectiveness ... it's all relative to commercial profit ... very limited to what they can sell us on TG ... Halloween not much different

The latter two are candy based. So is Valentine’s Day.

Liberals are probably trying to eliminate it.

• Kent6 months agoReport

They are, like the troll asker and answerers of this question. Made in Britain, from what they're saying about this one. That figures.