Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

What's a good book I should read?

I like anything from Shakespeare to Stephen king, to Perks of being a wallflower. Swamplandia! Was a terrific book, so was The Bell Jar. I already have "American Psycho" in my recommended list. Is there anything youd recommend me to read?

• C
    Favorite Answer

In that vein "Mother Night" by Kurt Vonnegut 

Any Graham Greene novel.  You could do worse than starting off with "the Quiet American"

If you feel like dipping your toes in magical realism "the House of the Spirits" by Isabella Allende is considered a classic.

The David Constantine translation of Goethe's "Elective Affinities."  I really enjoyed "hate reading" it in the sense that Goethe is aware of how pathetic all his characters are and he really does send himself up in the character of Eduardo.  The title refers to chemistry as it was understood at the time.  The characters know that they're hypocrites behaving badly but "can't help themselves" because they are like elements drawn to or repelled from each other.  There's a lot of background colour of the Enlightenment slipping into Romanticism just as Germany is on the cusp of the industrial revolution.  Think of it as an "anti-Jane Austin" (though I do like me some Jane Austen).  Ang Lee should make a filmitisation!

"Restoration" by Rose Tremaine

"The Coachman Rat" by David Henry Wilson  A story about what happened to the rat after Cinderella.  Much more than meets the eye.

If you are young "Wise blood" by Flannery O'Connor as it's one of those novels more gripping at the age where you're just finding your feet and can be reread with more pleasure later because you also revisit the younger you who read it the first time.  It's unfortunately less of a book if you pick it up for the first time later.

On the flipside, "Tender is the Night" is in my opinion F Scott Fitzgerald's finest novel.  You will hate it if you come to it too young.  It's really moving at that age when you realise that your generation isn't any longer the bright new thing on the scene re-making the world, the torch was passed when you were looking the other way.

If you enjoy authors not embarrassed to revel in their erudition there's Donna Tart's "The Secret History."  It's very well-written but I found the pressure cooker, arrogant college cliques a bit close to the bone.  I reread not that long ago and was struck by how little computers feature, not to mention no cell phones, as I recall that time as being more connected, but I suppose that it only felt that way because new connections were possible but definitely not ubiquitous.  It left me wondering if there will ever be another generation who can imagine who isolated and small a campus world could become, in that sense it rang uncomfortably true. 

"The City and the City" by China Mieville.  A detective story all about the art of seeing and not seeing with a dash of sci-fi.

Another modern classic, "the Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver.  It grows cumulatively as you read it.

Not strictly fiction but all about one of the foundational pieces of fiction in the western cannon, "The Mighty Dead: Why Homer Matters" by Adam Nicolson.  It's a wild ride.  After an introduction about how the work we have today came down to us various aspects of life, the universe and everything are discussed through the prism of Homer and Nicolson's own experiences.  Even if you don't start obsessively hunting down various translations of the Iliad it will stay with you for a long time.

I suggest reading Sword of Gold.  It is an entire series.

The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. 

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. 

The Raven Boys books by Maggie Stiefvater. 

The Old Kingdom books by Garth Nix. 

Memoirs Of A Geisha by Arthur Golden. 

A Face At The Window by Dennis McFarland. 

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. 

All of Stephen King. I do mean ALL, there is nothing that he's written that I don't like, I have all of his books. I especially liked Revival, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, The Wind Through The Keyhole, and Joyland. 

• j153e

The Path of the Higher Self;

Slaughterhouse Five;

In a Sunburned Country;

Hyperspace;

Autobiography of a Yogi;

The Great Divorce;

Beams from Meher Baba.

Flashback and Black Hills by Dan Simmons

The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

The Pure Series by Julianna Baggot

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Keasy

The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner

Foxfire or Dark Water by Joyce Carol Oats

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

American Gods and Neverwhere, both by Neil Gaiman

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Neuromancer by William Gibson

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

Grass by Sheri S Tepper

All Systems Red by Martha Wells

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

• ajtheactress

I see a lot of my favorites on your list.  May have to look up the ones I don't recognize.  Good job.

the bible is a good book to read

Just because a book is good to someone else does not mean it will be good to you. Good is relative. Try the bible. 

One book? The Liar by Stephen Fry. Just randomly chosen from a long list of books I could recommend.

Go find a timeline of literature, start from 3,000 B.C. and work your way to the present day. That'll take up some time.