What is the best camera for a beginner?

I have never used a dslr camera. I am willing to buy one to begin with a budget one. What is the brand should i choose and what model is good ?

Favorite Answer

There are no bad DSLR cameras. You will get the same basic results no matter which one you buy. That makes it much easier, since any choice you make is the "right" choice for you.

As much as I hate to, I would advise against anything in the Sony DSLR line. Their mirrorless bodies are certainly an option, but their DSLR line is all but abandoned at this point.

So how to choose? Not that difficult. 1st, you *must* set a budget. If you have X dollars to spend, there is no use looking at a camera that costs X x 5. Sure, you could say "I will save up for that one" but realistically, how long do think that will take?

Second, go to any retailer that sells at least 2 (and preferably more) makes of DSLR. A local camera store will also be a good idea, if you have one available. Sort out what cameras fit within your budget. Now, get your hands on them. Play with them. You may find that a certain brand just feels wrong in your hands, while another feels good and the controls are right under your fingers and everything just clicks. If you find one like that, buy it! Doesn't matter what the brand may be, that is pretty much irrelevant.

Most of the lower end models you will be looking at come with at least a "kit" lens, which is not the best model they make but still more than good enough to learn with. You may also find a kit with a second lens for more money (usually $100 or so) that will give you a telephoto lens as well. Keep in mind that the box will have the camera, at least one lens (make sure it has the lens!) the battery and charger, and a CD and/or a printed manual and a few cables and cords. Most do not have a memory card in the box, so keep that in mind. You will need one to make use of the camera.

Every major online camera dealer has a "buyers guide" section to tell you what there is on the market. Don't look at brands as much as ergonomics. This is why you need to get your hands on the options before you buy. You may save a few dollars buying on line (or not depending on shipping costs) since most camera makers set the prices, not the dealer. If it costs $500 in the store, you will probably find it only a few dollars cheaper online, if at all. Many online stores will add in a huge pile accessories (mostly all junk) that may or may not be useful to you, for little to no increase in price. It will get you a lot of accessory items you will end up buying anyway, but keep in mind that you will probably have to replace it all with useful models anyway.

• Teshmian2 months agoReport

My budget is about 700usd can u suggest a good model to start with

Pentax K-70.

It can use most or all of the lenses ever made for K-mount cameras,

and it is an excellent camera in general.

I would go for a Canon EOS 250D or the mirrorless EOS M50. Best entry-level cameras out there right now, in my opinion.

• John

The best camera for you comes from many different brands. Only you can select which you prefer.

What's your budget?

• Andrew

Nobody will give you unbiased advice, so I'll just put this out there.

I like Pentax, and heartily recommend the Pentax K-70 (with the dual lens - 18-55mm and 50-200mm -kit if you can get it).  It has a built-in intervalometer, weather-sealing and a pentaprism viewfinder, making it more of an intermediate model, despite its beginner's price.  If you don't know what those terms mean, look them up.  It also has a swivel screen, if you like that kind of thing.

• Teshmian2 months agoReport

Ny budget is about 700usd. 

The first question to be answered is why do you want a new camera - what's wrong with the one you've got?  Once you've answered that you can draw up a wish list of all the things you need, and then look for the camera that's the best fit.  If you think that using a DSLR will simply make you a better photographer, spend the money on photography courses rather than equipment.

• Teshmian2 months agoReport

I have normal digital camera now it doesn't work at all. No um an undergraduate just think of buying a dslr for personal use like when going on trips like that.