Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 2 months ago

Any idea why my phone battery may be running out so quickly? Please read all details first?

I have all my apps closed when I’m not using it. I don’t have Bluetooth on. My brightness is turned down. But for whatever reason, it can go down by 30% in even 10 minutes of use. My phone also says the battery health is 100% (it used to be lower and I got it replaced a year ago). It is an old phone, coming out 5 years ago. I’ve had it for 3 years.

Favorite Answer

Put it in airplane mode (and make sure wifi/Bluetooth are not turned back on) and then see what your battery does if you use your phone (music, watching videos, play games, whatever).

If it is still dropping quickly, your battery is basically shot. This happens to batteries that old even if it says the health is 100% (those things are notoriously bad and giving the actual health of a battery although they are getting better)

If your battery lasts a long time, then turn on wifi and Bluetooth and use the phone as normal. If it goes fast there may be viruses (as another poster stated) or some app is sucking things dry. "Closing" all the apps doesn't actually close all the apps (unfortunately) so things will still be running in the background. It may not be a virus perse but could be apps that you really don't want/need running in the background.

The battery needs to be replaced.

• John

Batteries don't last forever, eventually they have to be replaced.

Check for auto backups, and make sure they are set for Wi-Fi connections or manual cellular data connections.

Monitor your signal strength, and see if you notice the bars getting into the 2 bars or less for cellular signal or less than LTE, with you staying in one place. If so the phone is trying to stay connected to the best signal it can, with the least traffic, 

burning battery power in the process. 

And it may be time to get a mother battery, cause even if it's only a year old, it can still need replacing. 

That is a sign of spyware on your phone. It will send out your information about you to unknown parties (which uses battery and data). Run a good anti-malware, and CCleaner. And turn off your data, GPS, updates, and WiFi when your not using it.