Repair Bad Sector On Hard Drive?

I have a spare 3.5" hard drive that was once sed as an external hard drive, however it hasn't been used in quite a while I just tried using it again and it doesn't seem to be working properly. Data transfer stops after a few moments, I ran an error check on it and it said no errors, However I used a program called CrystalDiskInfo and it said there are unreadable sectors. Is there a way to get the hard drive working fully functionally again?

Update:

Nothing worked, It stopped at formatting, I ran tests with SeaTools and that failed. As far I can see the bad sectors make the whole hard drive unuseable. There was no data on it at all so better to cut my loss and dispose of it and consider purchasing a new one.

Update 2:

The drive doesn't rotate at all, I wanna guess it's the bad sectors causing that issue or an internal issue with the drive itself

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

If the Boot Sector is damaged, the drive is dead.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Did you freeze it?  if it isn't running at all......freezing is a last ditch effort to get anything on the drive for a few seconds.  You are most likely done.

• 2 months ago

You can't. Buy a whole new SSD. replace it.

• 2 months ago

Run chkdsk  /f, /r, /x, or /b parameters on your C: on the Command Line or what ever letter is allocated to your HDD. chkdsk utility is built into to windows with its switches you will be able to check all the drive and fix or remove bad sectors and blocks from being used. See what parameters you need for your problem. Best to go to Youtube look for a video on 'chkdsk' you'll be shown what to do..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • opurt
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No. In fact, it's normal to have a relatively small number of bad sectors; it's almost impossible to manufacture them perfectly. The firmware on the drives handle remapping these sectors automatically so it's only a problem if you had something stored in a sector that just became damaged, or if the number of bad sectors keeps increasing past the point where the drive runs out of 'spare' sectors to remap to.

• Sky
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Try to get your hands on a program called Spinrite.  It's an older program on a collection of hardware tools called Hiren's (I forget the exact title).  It's a boot level program that will require you to run it from a bootable device (floppy, CD, or USB stick) when you start up the computer.  Spinrite can do bit-level data integrity analysis and even has the ability to show just how strong the bits are as a 0 or 1 (depending on the magnetic strength of the bit on the hard drive platter) and overwrite weak bits with a stronger version to make data reading more reliable.  That program or other utilities on the Hiren's CD might be able to fix those unreadable sectors

, or at least recover your data from them and save to a different place on the disk.

• 2 months ago

You can do a full format of the drive and it will mark any bad sectors so that they will not be used.  (It will also destroy all data currently on the drive.)  

• 2 months ago

fully? no. bad sectors will stay bad and unreadable. there are programs which will repair the drive's header information [hard disk management programs, for example] which will then allow the operating system to detect and sidestep bad sectors.

however, once sectors begin to go bad, you should stop using the drive entirely ... drives are cheap enough these days to simply replace it

• Joe
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There's a good chance that you can.

What you can try is the manufacturer's low-level diagnostic tool.  It's capable of re-mapping bad spots on the media to "spare" areas, designed in to the drive for this purpose.

You'll need the right one for your drive.  (e.g., SeaTools for Seagate and Maxtor, Data LifeGuard for Western Digital...)

You'll find most of them on "The Ultimate Boot CD", here:

https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

• 2 months ago

Reformat the entire drive and the bad sectors should be marked for no usage. It MUST be a full format not a quick one.

PS: All data on the HDD will be lost when formatted. 

UPDATE: If the drive is not spinning at all and is an HDD (not an SDD) then you have either a lose cable connecting the drive to the PC or the drive is dead Jim. It therefore needs replacing - dead drive is nothing to do with bad sectors is it a defunct HDD in totallity.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.