What is the difference between an oblast and an autonomous oblast in Russia?

What is the difference between an oblast and an autonomous oblast in Russia? Specifically I am trying to find out what an autonomous oblast is. I have read the Wikipedia and other entries on the web and I don’t think they could make the explanation any more confusing using weird words that no one ever uses that explain nothing. Thanks.

• hihi!

Oblast is simply an area.

Autonomous places seem to always have a "people". Jewish autonomous oblast, etc., like others are usually "republics" nowadays. If USA had ethnic "peoples" such as Floridians, Louisianans, etc., then those states would be autonomous. Texans may claim such... wrongly! An Oblast is simply a region, an area- a territory. Moscow Oblast is near Moscow; but Moscow is a Federal City (think D.C. in USA) not within the oblast. 

My answer is geared to Americans, the biggest losers on Yahoo, OOPS!! biggest USERS!! 

In the event my answer failed to hit the spot, I usually return for updates in your questions and will edit my answer to better explain.

oligarch ..look it up