Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 2 months ago

How to socialize and make friend in Japan?

So, I am a white male from American, in my early 20s, and dream of heading over to Japan at some point. However, I have no idea what people are into over there, or even how to socialize. I am slightly introverted over here alone, so how can I fit in over there?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If you enjoy adult beverages, find a good bar and patronize it. It doesn't have to be a fancy joint or cater to foreigners. Just go there say; every Tuesday after work. Once you are a regular you will be invited to hanami and whatever with the other regulars. A yakitori joint will do. Skip the gaijin bars and fashionable places-give some elderly hardworking mamasan or master you business and they will look out for you. 

Every urban area in Japan has odd little bars for every taste. You like heavy metal?, they got a bar for that. You like classic jazz?, You like the Grateful Dead?, they got a bar for that. and so on....

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

First of all, before going to Japan, I suggest you choose a sharehouse for foreigners from overseas.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Let's master Japanese first.

• 2 months ago

You can of course visit Japan as a tourist, for a holiday.

People there, as everywhere, cannot be put into a single box of what they're into / how they socialize / whether they want to talk to you or not.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Quinn
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Trying to fit in is the biggest mistake you can make because you won't be able to. There are foreigners who lived in Japan for decades and even then they are tolerated at best. A few lucky ones might be able to make a close friend, but most of the time it is a case of a stranger in a strange land because Japan is a closed society. It has gotten a little better over the last 40 years, but it is nothing like what you find in western countries. If you are expecting to fly over to Japan and start getting invited to all the parties and meeting people off the street who are going to hang on your every words, you will be very disappointed. With that being said, you claim to be an introvert so it is not like you want and enjoy being the center of attention.

So, go as tourist and explore the place. See the sights and get a feel for it. If it is to your liking, plan another trip with a little more detail and expand on your interesting. Along the way, maybe you will meet a fellow traveler or gain a pen-pal with a Japanese (they exist).

The Japanese are into just about everything Americans are into and even more so in areas that are uniquely Japanese. Just to name a few: music, sports (including martial arts, Sumo, baseball, soccer, etc.), reading manga, karaoke, origami, gaming (such as Pachinko), and all things aesthetics such as Ikebana (flower arrangement), calligraphy, calligraphy, Bonsai, etc. I've met a Japanese who collects old Hollywood film noir posters and another one who has a huge collection of old toys from all over the world. Whatever you are into, someone in Japan probably is into it, too. The problem is how are you going to me them.

Your biggest obstacle in socializing is the language barrier. Do you speak Japanese? Because if you do not, you are not going to just meet any Japanese and strike up a conversation. Contrary to what you see in the movies, not everyone in the world speaks English. You may have heard that English is a required study in Japanese schools, but their English program is a failure which even their own Ministry of Education admits to being so. Understand that you can still go to Japan and enjoy it as a tourist without being fluent in Japanese. But socializing means you have to be able to communicate.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.