When bosses are absent, is it normal for them to ask their staff to email him with status that day?

Whenever my boss is out of the office, my boss asks me and colleagues to email him at the end of the day when we leave and let him know a status on what we worked on and accomplished that day. This assures him that we didn’t fool around that day and since we need to email him when we leave, it also assures him that we didn’t sneak out early.

Do most bosses do this? I’m just curious if this is typical for managers to ask of their staff.

• Bort
    Favorite Answer

No, it's not typical at all. And this person in my opinion is not a good manager. In my opinion a manager is never absent due to illness or fatigue kind of reasons unless it is planned and someone is assigned their duties for the manager's planned time off.

IMO a manager should never be absent because their duty is to be there to make decisions. More times than not to make the best decision in most situations a person has to be there to see and evaluate the situaion in person to be able to make the best decision on what to do.

This of course depends on the type of business and work that you all do. I have experience as a maintenance person, management, and on site mechanics for manufacturing and equipment. That type of work is where I base my opinion on. If a machine breaks or malfunctions a technician needs to look at it in person them selves before they're able to suggest what needs to be done. That kind of thing can't be done through email remotely.

If it's some sort of warehousing or shipping process type of work that you do then...I agree maybe it's possible to manage that type of thing remotely without being there in person all of the time. But it's not typical.

If he is gone ALL day, of course.

• Kyle

my manager has us send him weekly reports of accomplishments, assignments to work on for the week, and other activities.  

every manager has their own style of running things though.

It's completely normal. He's needing to know what's been done and what needs to be rescheduled for tomorrow.

Yes, it is quite common.

• Vicki

Yes, this is normal. This is a good way to ensure your employees are keeping on track and a good way of keeping on top of them when you're not in office.

Do managers supervise their subordinates?    Yes.   Some better than others.