zap asked in SportsFootball (American) · 2 months ago

Why are there so few decent to good quarterbacks in the NFL today?

Let’s be honest, almost all of the QBs in the NFL today are unfit to play on a pee wee football team with 5 year olds. We have 5 maybe 6 good QBs with Tom Brady being the best, and every one else total trash.

What is the problem with college football, that they can’t produce good QBs ready to play good from day one in the NFL? So many teams draft top picks and then stink to high hell for several years, where you can’t even waste your time watching them even as a fan before the QB gets decent IF he pans out and doesn’t become a dud. So many QBs drafted in the last 10 years have turned out to be duds; Mariotta, Newton (and I say this as a Panthers fan), Blake bortles, Paxton lynch, Drew Haskins, Robert griffin, manziel, Rosen, Tannehill, Derek Carr.  And so many not who have already faded to obscurity.  

The only good QBs playing today are , Tom Brady ( and I hate the pats but he is the GOAT, Aaron Rogers, Lamar Jackson, Drew Brees, Jimmy Garappolo, Deshaun Watson, Russel Wilson.

Everyone else is mediocre at best, most are flaming piles of garbage and a lot are washed up has beens

So why is it so hard to get decent QBs?

• .
    Favorite Answer

Because the defensive players coming out of university are also good and it takes more than one player to make a good team.

A QB needs a good offensive line, for example.  Without that, he may not pass as well.

• zap2 months agoReport

Good point, college has been producing some excellent defenses.

It’s always been like that. Good, reliable quarterbacks are hard to find.

Remember the 2007 class? None of the QB drafted is still playing. The 2002 class with first rounders Derek’s brother, Joey Harrington and Patrick Ramsey was awful too. And if you look back you will find people like Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Heath Shuler, Rick Mirer, and many more,I think Kirk Cousins has been fine, But Tom Brady hasn’t been that great since week 5. Stafford was ok before the injury. Matt Ryan is a good QB in a horrible team and situation.

Because of high expectations in which they can't do.

• There are a lot of good Quarterbacks in The National Football League if their Offensive Lines can keep them from getting killed. Have you paid attention to how many Quarterbacks have been injured this season?

QB numbers have been on a slow steady increase over the history of the sport. But I suppose they will never be able to keep up with fan expectations.

If you don't even think Mahomes is good, then it's tough to answer, because every team would take that level of play from the QB spot.

• zap2 months agoReport

I forgot about Mahomes— he is great. I knew I forgot someone