should i rent a car to go around Oahu island or use public transportation?

• 3 hours ago

No, don't use the Bus system, unless you are just doing short trips, like the Vegas strip-size area.  The better way is to rent a car.  I am impressed with Lucky Owl car rental, flat rate in advance, lil' older cars, but very reasonable.  Uber is almost as expensive as Budget, Dollar, and those other air port rentals.  If you rent a car, for example, you drive from Laie to Makapu'u in 1 hour.  By bus it takes eight (8!!!) hours.  Non-sense, there also is car rentals by individuals (I forgot the name) but aside from the inconvenience of pick-up and drop-off, cheaper than the Big rip off Companies.

Oahu is a large island. Depends upon what you wish to do and where you wish to go. Public transport is good, but you could also have a great time just staying at a single beach!  

I really rent a car every time I go to  Hawaii.  But right now.  I've been there lots of times.  I take public transportation.  But it  saves you lots of Money. 

Unless you want to visit areas of the island not serviced by public transporation, then get a car. 

Miss Van, enjoy your stay here. And sample the poké.. you will be thrilled as I was. (I am originally from Boston.)

Source(s): Bostonian living in Oahu.

I took the public bus to go around the island, and a tour to go to the Pacific Cultural Center. Where you really don't want to drive is Maui. Take a van- so you can enjoy the road, for one thing, and because the narrow roads along the coast are tricky.

• Sophie Van3 months agoReport

Thank you very much for your response. After choosing the hotel, we 'll decide should we rent a car. In Waikiki if the hotel is close to the center, we don't need the car . But in Maui, may be we should rent the car to go around the island.

A car will be much easier unless you just want to take one of the tours of the island.

• Sophie Van3 months agoReport

Thank you for your advise.

If you are on a holiday, yeah.