Elliot
Lv 7
Elliot asked in TravelUnited StatesLas Vegas · 2 months ago

Why isn’t there an interstate connecting Portland and Las Vegas directly? Wouldn’t this make sense?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

There are many Portlands, be more specific

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

no. why would that make sense?? it would make more sense if it was to California from Las Vegas or vice versa since many travel from here to there. not Portland....

• 2 months ago

To Portlanders, maybe.

• 2 months ago

No, it would not make sense. One reason is that there aren't enough cars or trucks going between that particular combination of cities. Another is the mountains in the way.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Daniel
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, it wouldn't make much sense.

The only remotely significantly sized city that an interstate between Portland and Las Vegas would hit would be Reno.  That's a pretty long stretch of Interstate with no major cities.  

Running an interstate between Vegas and Reno is a feasible option and some people are pushing for an extension of the planned I-11 to do that.  However, getting between Reno and Portland presents more challenges getting through the mountains.  

• Eastside Guz
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

That is what I was thinking also. Portland (and San Francisco) are closer to Reno (and Lake Tahoe) which is another great gambling and entertainment location(s).

• DON W
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Maybe, but the US some years ago declared the Interstate Highway System was complete.  The only exception are a few new short stretches and connecting roads, and even those are rare.  So, what you see is what there will be, at least in our lifetime.

• Daniel
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

The Interstate system isn't complete.  They are currently working on an interstate between Phoenix and Vegas, several decent sized sections of I-69 are in the works, and there are a few other future portions that I wouldn't consider to be 'short stretches and connecting roads.'

• 2 months ago

Why? That's a long drive.

• 2 months ago

When the interstate highway routes were planned in the early 50s, Las Vegas had a population of 20,000 people. It wasn't important back then.

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Mark Davis said it best - "Yew jest wait. Billions of people are gonna come to Vegas to see tha Raiders in their shiny new stadium! It didn't work for my dad in LA but hey, this is ME!!" And they'll just hafta build a new freeway, just for that!

• Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, it wouldn't make sense.  How many people travel between Portland and LV?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.