Can't find WD Passport ext hard drive?

My computer is not recognising my WD Passport ext hard drive. Till now it's worked fine. When plugged in the lights flash for a millisecond then nothing. Have tried a new lead, no difference.  It gets slightly warm if left plugged in.  Any suggestions welcome.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Try it on a different computer.  Also check disk management to see if you see it there.  Unfortunately drives do do this when they go bad, but hopefully it's just a usb issue. 

• Mike2 months agoReport

Thanks, your answer did the trick.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Shadow
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Try this. Right click on 'Computer' and select 'Manage'.

This will take you to the management console. You may need to go to the menu option 'More' to find 'Manage' if using Windows 10.

Then, on the left side will be a bunch of menu items or what is basically the tree of the management console. Select 'Device Manager' and see the list that loads in the middle. If none of the sub categories are expanded, then the hardware is fine.

Next, select the 'Disk Management' option at the bottom of the tree on the left. This will show all the connected drives on your computer. Be careful what you change here.

Look for the drive. Normally will show the drive label and it's size. Check the colour of the drive. Black means there is no partition/volume which means the drive cannot be accessed and needs formatting. Grey means the drive needs to be initialised. Blue means there is a partition. (Dark blue and light blue are different types of partitions and it's not serious what it is.) Check if it has a letter assigned. If not, then the letter was removed. You would need to assign a letter to the drive partition to access it again. To do this, right click on the partition and select change drive letter and then follow the steps in the window. If unsure, check YouTube for a how to video. They have some there.

• Mike2 months agoReport

Thank very much for that,. followed it through OK. When I plug the hard drive into the computer it does not show anything at all. . Does this mean it's dead?

• 2 months ago

There is a possibility that your external hard drive has a virus on it or malware and that it marked it as bad in your device manager so anyway type into Cortana device manager go down to the bottom where it says USB and go through every one of the USB and reset the USB in each and every of the different USB categories after you do that to drive should work perfectly again.

• Mike2 months agoReport

Sorry but I have no idea what Cortana device manager  is.

• Norm F
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Go with David's answer. It is reasonably common for the case circuit to be faulty.

It has to convert Sata interface to USB. If not then you have you have problems with the drive that are probably terminal.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It could be a bad USB circuit in the case, or bad hard drive.

You will have to remove the drive from the case and either then try a different drive or a different case

• Fred
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

When your computer does not recognize the HD, either the drive is not formatted (this does not apply in your case) or the HD has died. Listen for beeps, long and short, when you turn on the PC. Count them. This is from the Power On Self Test (POST) and comes long before the OS kicks in.

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/POST-Powe...

If the hard drive has died, there are a few possibilities- the HD is damaged or the electronics on the drive have failed. If the HD has been damaged, potentially it can be pretty expensive (possibly thousands) to recover data. If the electronics have failed, it can be a lot cheaper. You will have to contact a company that recovers data and they will give you an estimate.

EDIT: Damage to the HD can be done when the electronics fail- the read/write heads can damage the discs

• Mike2 months agoReport

I have listened to the box and there is no sound whatsoever. Nor from the computer.  It has quite a lot on it but it is not in daily use by a long chalk. I has not been dropped or bashed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.