Emily asked in Dining OutOther - Dining Out · 2 months ago

Do restaurants profit from my Celiac Disease?

I have Celiac Disease and I need to eat gluten free. Many restaurants will charge extra to make food with gluten free bread, pasta, or pizza crust. In the grocery store, a lot of the food I buy gluten free is more expensive than non gluten free food, but usually not by much. I bought pizza the other day and a small was supposed to be $7. With gluten free crust it came out to be over $11. A sandwich shop near me charges $2 extra per slice of gluten free bread. So my sandwiches always cost $4 more! I’m wondering if these charges are proportional to the higher price of the food, and if these restaurants make the same money off me as they do from non-gluten free customers. The waitresses definitely make more because I have to tip higher. Just wondering if someone can help me do the math on this

It's a simple question of supply and demand. When more people start demanding gluten-free (as they already are), you'll find the prices go down.

Yes, but not always to the degree you believe you are being charged.  

The gluten free stuff you buy in the grocery store that is more expensive usually does have a higher profit margin because it is all they make thus no variation in labor costs or stock ingredients.  

In restaurants it is different because keeping gluten free items (or ingredients) specifically for a small percentage of clientele (they can't count on to sell it to) costs the restaurant to merely have it available and higher labor costs because it changes the normal method of production by having to take time to seek out (and later store) the rarely used ingredient.  Any variation from the norm will cost you more because you are asking for a special consideration that the normal business model doesn't fit.  Does it cost the sandwich shop $2 more?  Of course not.  But that $12 sandwich can be made at home for $4 too.

The more widely available an ingredient is the cheaper it will be, that is why gluten free food is more expensive because they use tapioca, maize etc to make them

• L

Restaurants are in the business of staying in business - and they happen to sell food and beverages to meet that profitability.

Keeping a real "gluten-free" kitchen means all the "gluten-free" food prep surfaces need to be separate from the other food prep areas used for foods containing gluten... at worst, the food prep surface areas have to be thoroughly cleaned if anything with gluten has been on them - this extra space and extra effort increases costs... plus additional orders of gluten-free supplies need to be purchased and stored separately from the food/ingredients with gluten - again, incurring additional expense.

So, they "profit", just like their other food with gluten - razor-thin margins on any food... but bigger margins on many beverages...

• L

Any business wants to make money from the products they sell. If they don't make money they can't stay in business. "Margin" = difference between what the business buys stuff for and what they sell it for. The restaurant business has very thin margins on food and bigger margins on purchased drinks.

I doubt they do.....

• Emily2 months agoReport

Lookin for math, Tom, but thanks

yes....................

• Emily2 months agoReport

Lookin for math! Can you tell me more about your thought process?

• Bob

Yes they can and do profit from it, they can also decline or refuse to serve you.

• Emily2 months agoReport

And they often do! Love it! Love this disease! Greatest gift I ever received! Thanks genetics!

Restaurants can charge what they want.  my experience with 'gluten free' products in stores is that they are a lot more, not slightly.

• Barry

You could always prepare your own food instead of paying for rubbish.

• Emily2 months agoReport

Fam if I never had to eat out again I’d be over the moon. Unfortunately, I like to spend time with my friends and family, and often that involves outings, and outings often include restaurants. But thanks for the advice!

• Tasm

Of course they profit on your specialty problem. All businesses will because you have a higher need, they will up the price. That applies to everything.

• Emily2 months agoReport

“Of course” No! I’m looking for math! You proved nothing! Thanks anyway...