promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Not using someone's preferred pronouns is tantamount to violence & hate speech according to professor at Toronto University. Thoughts?

Attachment image

22 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Ludicrous. Compelled speech is a violation of both the Charter of Rights (Canada) and the US Constitution so the victim in this scenario is the person being forced to lie to validate someone's feelings.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 months ago

Geez. Not using someone's preferred pronouns (on purpose, I assume, because honest mistakes happen) is rude at most. Close-minded or dumb, maybe, but it's not hate speech, calm the hell down.

• 4 months ago

It's really not to be honest.

How is it violence?

Furthermore it's also not hate speech cause the person probably believes trans women are men and that trans men are women cause we humans have different perspectives and there are people who believe you should not be called a woman unless you are really born one biologically, that's their opinion and not hate speech.

I usually just call trans people by their preferred pronouns but if you don't then it's okay cause you probably prefer to follow the biological perspective and there is nothing wrong with that, it is not hate speech or an act of violence.

• Emma
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

"Not using someone's preferred pronouns is tantamount to violence & hate speech"

Yes!!!!

Not calling someone by their preferred name IS a message of disrespect, it is degrading to both the person being addressed and the person refusing the dignity of the person being addressed.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Disrespecting someone  is a VERY long way from 'degrading' and 'violence' and 'hate speech'.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

In any of this discrimination thing there is more to it than just the words. Its the intent that matters.

Think of it this way. I have a female friend who was mistaken for a guy.

She did not get upset as it was simply a mistake. But if you knew and then called her a man that is only done to offend and so would generate the response it deserves. A bit like if a friend mistook you mum for a man, you for forgive the mistake but if the person continued to called her sir despite knowing that is not so, that then is offensive.

• 4 months ago

She's crazy....

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Not all college professors are completely sane or rational.

• 4 months ago

Who defines HATE SPEECH?????

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

Sadly, and almost unbelievably, in the UK hate speech is defined by ANYONE - possibly not even the person the remark was addressed to - who THINKS it's hate speech.

• 4 months ago

I don't care what manipulators think.

• 4 months ago

If you are neither " he or she " then you are " it " .

• Tyler
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

if you lack sentience and basic human empathy, you are an "it"

this applies to you, so you better update your profiles

• 4 months ago

my thought is, your not an american 

nobody cares about canada 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.