When should you shift gears in 1972 Beetle? I see the marks on the speedometer but still not sure. ?

You can shift at the red paint marks and it is fine. But on downshifting - if you are rolling you can still keep it in second. I rarely went back to first.   You can hear or feel a deep throbbing when you are lugging it meaning you should shift down or NOT SO MUCH GAS FOR SLOWER ACCELERATION on level streets or a slight downgrade.  Just ease on the gas pedal and the car will leave the LUG zone or it will stall.  No biggy.  Stop. Start motor and put in first and goose it.   I have when really pushing it got to 25 before I shifted to second, 45 and then into 3rd and 60 before I slipped it into 4th.  But I always check my oil before I start my car so that was all good. Shifting at the high end uses more fuel but it won't hurt it any.  Much better than lugging it.  When in doubt shift down so you hear the engine.  The cooling fan relies on a fast running engine to keep it cool.  Even in the desert...in the summer time.

1st gear to 2ed gear at 15 mph.

2ed gear to 3rd gear at 28 mph.

3rd gear to 4th gear at 45 mph.

Don't downshift to 1st gear if you're going more than 3 mph. it wears out the 1st gear synchronizer rings.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech / 1970 VW Apprentice

"1st gear 0-15 mph (0-3100 rpm) 2nd gear 10-35 mph (1120-3930 rpm) 3rd gear 20-55 mph (1370-3770 rpm) 4th gear 30 mph and up (1455 rpm and up) Max speed 84 mph (4070 rpm)"

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum

You should learn to do it by ear. It's not rocket science. Get a competent driver to teach you. 

When the engine is about to scream, you shift.

• CB

Just learn to listen to the engine, marks are for morons and idiots. 

SO you don't believe VW and expect to get better answer here?