What is the point of classifying people by generations (boomer, X, millennial, Z)?

Favorite Answer

It is for marketing purposes so that they may be targeted and manipulated. What was once 'cool' is now has a derogatory connotation in the mind of the young who are soon to become old themselves.

• The marketing always fails on me. I'm 31 so I'm technically a millennial or the former generation y or generation why? I wear a feathered mullet and blast late 80's and early 90's hair metal and soft rock out of my 1992 Chevrolet Camaro. How the **** are they going to market anything to me when I hate Nirvana, grunge, and all hipster inspired fashion?

Why not? I mean every generation had different events that took place in that era ect. I was born in 93 that would make me a millennial.

There really isn't a mathematical point.  There is value to marketers in generational classifications perhaps.

• Andrea2 months agoReport

Sorry about that. Sometimes my answers get placed in the wrong category after I submit them.

to make them easier to identify and to objectify for marketing purposes.