Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsTiVO & DVRs · 3 months ago

Cctv question?

So I have a DVR cctv system I have purchased a hard drive online so I can record the footage on my cctv 

my question is I think I may have bought the wrong type of hard disk as I didn’t know they have to be specifically made for cctv is it ok to use a standard pc 2.5inch 1TB hard disk in a cctv system? I’m worried that I’ve wasted £60 if it doesn’t work  I can’t get a refund as I have opened it and ruined the box I bought it online and have no receipt..Would it still work??🤔

• Mmm J

I've installed several Swann security camera systems and replaced a few hard drives (to store more video - nothing was wrong with the included hard drives).

A 2.5 inch "standard" hard drive is for a laptop or netbook.

A 3.5 inch standard hard drive is for an external case or for a desktop computer.

There are some exceptions for this, but this has been "normal" until recently.

With a computer, usually, the user powers it up, does work, powers it down or the computer sleeps. Normally, the hard drive is not spinning to record or read 24/7/365.

With a CCTV NVR/DVR, the hard drive starts spinning as soon as it is plugged in/powered up - and, barring a power outage or drive replacement - that hard drive is on 24/7/365. The CCTV NVR/DVR drives are designed differently from "normal" computer drives because the requirement is very different.

If the hard drive you got was not rated for being in use 24/7/365, and it fails prematurely, you will need to replace it - and after the next replacements, you will have spent more than the amount you paid for the incorrect drive had you purchased the correct drive...

There are reasons for the specifications being different if computer (normal use), computer (media), Network Attached Storage (NAS), CCTV...

Using the incorrect drive for the task is like using the wrong tool for the job... like using a hammer on a screw (rather than a nail). Will it work? Perhaps, but it will also, likely, fail sooner.

Also, the connectors used by 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch drives will differ. Since we don't know which NVR/DVR you are using with your security cameras, there is no way for us to know if yours requires 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch drive. Mounting screws won't match in the NVR/DVR case, either.

it wont matter a ton. its always better to use the proper drives but it will work.

Hard drives is hard drives, that part doesn't matter. There are two types of hard drive data/power connections, and that DOES matter. So if the drive you bought matches the data/power connection in your DVR, you are good.

You may also require a mounting kit if the DVR is set up for 3.5" drives, not a 2.5", but that should only set you back a couple quid.

You don't have to use a drive meant for surveillance systems (like the WD Purple drives). As long as the drive is of the same type that the surveillance system supports, it shouldn't matter.