Is Amazon worth working at?

I’ve heard so many stories and things told about the toughness of the job inside the warehouse and how it can affect people mentally and socially; I have a girlfriend, we both have been wanting to get a place together, but I’m worried this job is going to run me dry and occupy me from my home life for a long time. The problem is that I’m only 19, I didn’t go to college, and I am hoping that I can just keep one job down for once and the problem is that I don’t know if this job is worth the effort or time spending in. If I have to work holidays, then I’ll miss out on being with family, and if I have my military duties, then I’ll get into trouble with amazon (I’m pretty sure they don’t care about military obligations) so I need a real honest answer here as to whether this is the job I should take or should I venture out for other work. 

Favorite Answer

I briefly worked there and I am telling it was tough. On top of that I was expected to meet a requirement that I felt I would never get to no matter how fast I did my work. I would go back home with my feet hurting so bad, didn’t matter if I had on good shoes, or comfortable, or work appropriate. I always had to soak my feet in epsom salt.And you also have to work on holidays so it is not a family friendly job. The only upside to me was that you get to lose weight. there are a lot of things you could do that will make you money if you are looking for something permanent. Where I used to work as a dental lab technician the other techs came straight out of high school. some of them now became managers, and were paid well. there are a lot of professions that will train you and are family friendly you just have to google a lot to figure that out. I also think welding makes money, truck driving driving also does too, but not on long distance if you want to stay with family, or postal worker( city carrier). Just look up I’m sure you will find something. Good luck

• Big Mouth

It's demoralizing and can actually have the opposite effect on productivity.  It's also detrimental to employee retention. It's important to set achievable goals because people learn to give up when they can't achieve a goal. Martin Seligman's theory of learned helplessness.

Nah.  It's a bum deal.  I would avoid warehouse work especially if you like to work at your own pace and aren't fond of being abused.  

Warehouse work is very physically demanding and you never get a break or time to take it easy and recover.  You wake up and your whole body is sore like you got run over by a semi truck.  Are you gonna be able to endure that every day?  You're 19 so you might be able to handle it but you're gonna develop some serious health problems eventually from the high levels of physical and emotional stress.  

The risk of injury (and permanent disability) is high.  If you get injured on the job and become permanently disabled you won't be able to work and support yourself anymore.  Then how are you gonna get by for the rest of your life?There will come a day when you get sick and tired of warehouse work and you'll find you're trapped there.  That's the only thing you'll manage to get hired for because that's where all your experience is.  I've encountered PLENTY of people trying to get out of warehousing, manufacturing, factory work, etc in my job search endeavors and I never had the heart to tell them I was pretty sure it will never happen.  Look where you are.  You in the land of warehouses and factories where nobody cares about the stinkin' environment, air quality or the pollution of their own drinking water supply as long as they get paid a living wage to become hard-of-hearing eventually.The workforce is a booby trap.  Choose wisely.

Source(s): You may not have a job but you can at least have some standards. That's something people can never take away from you.
  • Eva

Actually, they are required to "care" about military obligations by law. Since you have no work history and apparently no skills, you have to take what you can get. They pay fairly decently compared to other places.

• I work with a guy that used to work for Amazon, he ended up quitting because of the working conditions. Amazon is not worth working for if you don't want to work on the holidays. That's usually the busiest time of the year for ware houses. Amazon makes you work any shift you're given no matter what day they fall on. Their managers constantly push you to go faster and they like to micromanage their employees. If you don't meet their quotas with lines per minute they ask you why you're not doing that. If you're too slow and not keeping up with your targets, you can get fired. Ware house work can also be very mundane, you're doing the same thing all day every time you have to work and it can be physically demanding. If you only get seasonal work then they can let you go after the holidays.

As for military obligations, you would have to ask Amazon about that. But with the military, you may still have to work on holidays. I would pick one or the other. It may be tough to do both jobs. Some times you have to sacrifice some time with your family if you want a full time job. You visit them when you're able to.

As for being away from home if you're in the military, that can happen. With other jobs you're not likely to be working for days on end. Working with your girl friend, if you think you can handle spending that much time with her then go for it. 

For some it is and for others it isn't, but that's anywhere anyone works. Your question should be is a job worth having?  The likelihood of working the holidays at Amazon is very high and especially if they hire you during the holiday season, that is what is expected with this type of business and what a new person ends up doing because you are in your probationary period and have not accumulated any time off, vacation time or seniority to request a holiday off... so why waste your and their time knowing you don't want to work the holidays?

The toughness of a job is on the individual, not the business. Amazon hires many young people who dont know a thing about working hard, making sacrifices, earning their pay and establishing work reputations. 

I don't recommend working with a girlfriend or even with best friends. Because when work-issues arise, there is a tendency that you and your girlfriend or best friends will have ill feelings with one another. 

Girlfriends and best friends =/= workmates

If you are in the National Guard or Reserve, EVERY company in the USA is required to provide you leave for military obligations.

With any job there are going to be times that you have to balance family and work. 

You will just have to change things around to be able to do both.

You don't have a job.  This job pays well.  Many people really like working for Amazon and some people don't.  My crystal ball isn't working so I don't know which one you will be.  why don't you apply and see if you get hired. 

Just make sure you don't get yourself injured.

A job in the hand is better than two in the bush.