Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBasketball · 2 months ago

Is Lebron the most overrated player in NBA history? ?

Lebron is a freakish athletic talent who uses his athleticism to get to the rim and dunk. Beyond that though he is a pretty average player. He scores 39% of his points from within three feet of the basket and his shooting percentage from beyond 3 feet is an absolutely putrid 37%. He also turns the ball over a lot at 3.5 per game. Most of the guys he’s compared to are half that. His rebounding is pretty average for a guy who plays PF as often as he does. He ranks 187th all time and his BEST rebounding season he ranked 66th in the league behind two point guards. His defense is pretty average too. Lebron has never won a defensive MVP and only a handful of NBA defensive honors. The teams he’s played on have ranked in the bottom half of the league 8 times in opp fg% and the only good defensive teams are ones where he had great defensive teammates like Ben Wallace or with the Heat. My biggest criticism of Lebron though is that he doesn’t play well in big games. Lebron’s record in NBA finals games is absolutely awful (18-31). Lebron is largely to blame here too because his shooting percentage drops from 50.4% in the regular season to 49.1% in the playoffs.

Lebron has a lot of athleticism but beyond that’s he’s a mediocre player with a ton of hype behind him who just happened to play in an era where there aren’t a lot of 7 foot centers blocking shots coming down the lane.  

Update:

People say Lebron didn’t have a lot of talent around but you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone who has had the talent around him that Lebron has had. At C he’s had Shaq, A. Davis, D. Howard, Whiteside and Ben Wallace. At PF, Love, Bosh, Haslem, Jamison and J Howard. At SG he’s had Wade, Ray Allen, Stackhouse and Hughes. At PG Rondo, Bibby, Kyrie, Snow and Chalmers. Name one person in the history of the NBA who has had that kind of talent around them. 

Update 2:

Lebron doesn’t belong in the conversation of great players. He’s only good at one thing (scoring) and he’s not even among the league’s best at that. 

Update 3:

@hoop- you have to be trolling. There is literally NO area of the game where Lebron is even equal to Jordan. Jordan was a better scorer, shooter and better defender. Jordan won 6 straight titles (when he played full seasons) with teammates like Bill Wennington and Jud Buechler. Lebron only has three titles on stacked teams with guys like Shaq, Wade and Ben Wallace. There's no comparison. 

Update 4:

@Sam- That means Lebron can't shoot. Which means there's a really big part of the game he is terrible at.Yeah, he might be able to score in this weak era but I don't see him doing it with guys like Olajuwon or Mutombo in the lane. Yes he's made a lot of game wining shots but he's also played in more playoff game than all but 3 other players and missed more game winning shots than anybody else too. That's not clutch. 

Update 5:

@Steve- It doesn't seem like you understand what "overrated" means because all you gave were awards based on what other people think. If people think he is greater than he is then he's overrated. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Kathy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes he is...........

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

No way!  I think he's like a more athletic Magic Johnson.  Granted, LeBron lost a lot in the finals, but he also had some crappy teams and was young when he got there.  If you take his performance after, say, the age of 25, I think he's one of the best players in NBA history.  Probably Top 7 or so.  

Definitely Top 10 in my book for sure.  Debatable 1 thru 10.  

• 2 months ago

No, if anything he's underrated

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Lebron should have at least 5 or 6 rings by now. Looking at his ability on the court and his teammates throughout his career, 3 rings is anemic. Hopefully he'll retire with a few more , but his chances are running out as he ages

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Why does it matter where he gets his buckets? A layup count's the same as a contested 10 foot fadeaway. 2 points is 2 points. He puts the ball in the basket, it doesn't matter how he gets them. Also you say he doesn't play good in big games. When facing elimiation, Lebron puts up 34.1 ppg. The highest in nba history. He also has the most playoff buzzer beaters in the playoffs. The most in nba history. And bruh, you're really counting 37 year old Shaq as a big contribution? Like come on man. You're obviously being biased here. 

• STEVE
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Lebron is a 4x MVP, 3x Finals MVP, 15x All-Star, and still playing at a high level in this 16th season.  He's lived up to the lofty expectations he had coming out of high school. He is easily one of the greatest players to ever play

The most overrated player right now is either Draymond Green or Russell Westbrook.  The most overrated player in league history is Pete MaravichBut that's just my opinion

• 2 months ago

No, but he's close. I still say Michael Jordan is the MOAT (Most Overrated of All Time)

Hope this helps

EDIT ... I never said Lebron was equal to Jordan in terms of overall skill. I am saying Jordan was the most Overhyped athlete in history, and Lebron is not far behind. 

And Jordan had plenty of help in those championships, which was evidenced the year after he retired - Chicago only dropped 2 wins from the prior year (with Jordan). Nice try though ...

• David
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

As overrated, he doesn't hold a candle to Kobe. now that's someone who was REALLY overrated!

• ...Show all comments
    • Bob
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Tome does not seem to get that the fact that Jordan said that Kobe could beat him, does not mean that it's true

• Bob
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

First, I strongly disagree with your comment that "Lebron doesn’t belong in the conversation of great players. He’s only good at one thing (scoring) and he’s not even among the league’s best at that" comment, he is a very good passer also rebounds fairly well and in his prime was an elite defensive player.

Second and to answer the question you asked, if he is overrated or not depends on how you have him rated, if you rate him as better than or as good as Michael Jordan, then yes he is overrated, but if you have him as being in the top 5 on the GOAT list, but not #1, then he is not overrated.

• 2 months ago

Lebron has what coaches, fans, players, GMs, owners etc etc all talk about, POWER n SPEED. VERY RARE in the NBA. He can also pass, has great court vision, can create his own shot well, has a good jumpshot n 3, rebounds, triple double threat every night.

To be honest, there has never been a player like Lebron in the NBA, hes very unique. Thats how rare POWER N SPEED is in the NBA. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.