How long to sail from Singapore to the states?

Trying to write in a bit of sailing for a story. Can anyone tell me how long it would take to sail from Singapore to California or from Singapore to Massachusetts. The vessel is a standard Sundowner yacht, average speed of 10 knots. The yacht has both a motor and sails. If sailing to California the route would go over open ocean. If sailing to Massachusetts the route follows the coast and through the Suez Canal into the Mediterranean. If its not possible just let me know I am a blank slate when it comes to ships.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Having the proper credentials is necessary before traveling on a boat.

If a boat was not made to travel by ocean then a person should not go on it, and try to travel around the world. Because it's possible that the boat will break, or get destroyed, or sink, and then what do you think is going to happen next?

You would probably be somewhere in the middle of the ocean just floating on the water assuming you are wearing a life jacket. I think maybe it's only a matter of time before you die.

• Login to reply the answers
  • fuzzy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Depends on many many things. A typical yacht will make about 6 - 7 knots downwind (if the wind strength is good) Upwind quite a lot less due to tacking. Having a motor wont help much on a trip this long - cant carry enough fuel. As others have said better to write about things you know. If the trip is only a minor point "guess" at 4 knots average & work it out yourself.

• 2 months ago

To Massachusetts via Indian Ocean, Suez Canal, Mediterranean, Atlantic would take a couple months at best.  You should cross Atlantic by Ireland, Iceland, Newfoundland, Maine.

To California via Philippines, Taiwan, Japan, Aleutians, Down the west coast of North America.  That is also a couple months.  Not advisable to go straight across to Midway, Hawaii, then California because of the huge stretch of nothing.

Source(s): Was all around the Caribbean during hurricane season for 10 weeks in an 11 knot geophysical vessel
  • 2 months ago

if i were you i would learn as much as you can about sailing before writing a story about it... people will pick out every little mistake you make.... even if you get the time right for the trip there are alot of other little things you could get wrong.... this could mess the whole story up

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Googling for "sailing route singapore california" came up with this: https://gregkyle.wordpress.com/tag/california-curr...

However, that's for a racing yacht. Doing some basic maths - if your ship actually will do an average speed of 10 knots, those 8200 nm (according to goolgle again) will take 820 hours, or just over 35 days.This would be assuming a fair wind and good weather throughout the trip, which I woud find somewhat unlikely. And the neccessity to carry all consumables for that period, another problem on a small ship.

So, more realistically, the captain would break up the trip into several segments and likely make landfall inbetween - something they could only do by going far south: Phillipines, Papua-New Guinee, Fiji, Polynesia, maybe even Galapagos before turning North again. Which may easily take them a leisurely 3 months, but have much nicer weather :-)

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you don't know what you're writing about, find a different story to write. Knowledgeable readers will spot a phony from the start.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.