John asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 weeks ago

Why do I start to freak out and become super nervous/stressed anxious when an event I was looking for to go to is closing in?

Something new and significant, or different, nudges us out of our comfort zone, even if it's great and we're fortunate to have it. Just a fact of life. You're perceptive to notice it - most people don't. It passes, usually about the time we arrive at the new event, but we may have an "event hangover" too after, sometimes for several days or weeks, depending how big it was to us. I would add this: Any time people are saying "congratulations" and serving you champagne, fasten your seat belt. You're in for a rough ride.

It's probably your ego-mind doing what I call 'dancing in the future'. That's when the mind starts to ponder the countless possible outcomes of a situation. There's no way the mind can decide which one of those possibilities will end up happening, so the mind just continues to whirl, and you feel anxious instead of relaxed.

Most of your mental energy is going towards processing possible outcomes. The mind is looking for possible dangers, so it no longer has room for the thought of "I'm so looking forward to this!".

If you're interested in a 'cure', just try to mentally step back. Observe what your ego-mind is doing and tell it to 'knock it off already'. Take some deep breaths and go back to thinking of why you were looking forward to the event. Repeat as often as necessary. 'rinse and repeat', as the saying goes.