Why do atheist often bring up the incest between Lot and his daughters as if the Bible condones it?

All it says is that it happened. They wrongly assumed the world was destroyed and had sex with their dad to save the human race.

No where did God command them to do it. Welcome to human history where nasty and disturbing stuff happens.

Update:

I guess this was a dumb question. Lol I just see atheist bring Lots daughters up all the time to bash the Bible.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Jeremy
    Lv 6
    2 weeks ago

Because He did purportedly transmute Lot's wife into a pile of salt for looking at her home.  It makes a very problematic ethical implication that drunkenly impregnating your daughter, even if not acceptable, didn't warrant interruption, when a woman looking in the wrong direction warranted an immediate death sentence.  

Also, don't forget Lot was spared because he was a moral person in an immoral place.  If God is all knowing, why spare him if He knows the immediate ramifications are going to be this?  If He finds this immoral, why not let Lot perish with his city?

• 2 weeks ago

You forget that we more often point out that Lot, the man God sent his angels to save, offered his daughters to be gang raped, and then turned Lot's wife to salt just because she looked back at her home.

• Chi girl
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

The joke's on you.   The mob wanted the visiting "men".  Lot knew they had no interest in his daughter.

• 2 weeks ago

Because it's finny to make fun of Fairy Tales down in their very core .

There's so much more that makes the bible king of fairy tales 

and plenty to bring up .

Why is this always missed about Noah's Ark .

Leave all the logistics and and flawed engineering out .

The bible is clear why god flooded the world '

First up were the Nephilim who were a type of angel god sent to protect 

humans from Adam on after the supposed fall .

The Nephilim lusted after women and now we have fallen angels .

Did god foresee this because if not it was failure on gods part so his plan was to rid the world of the Nephilim also noted as either giants or sons of god depending on which version of the 5,000 versions of bibles is referenced .

Nephilim , Seraphim , Cherubim - All.Angel types . The evil generation and the Nephilim were to be flooded to death .

The Nephilim return in Numbers 13 as post giants who apparently survived 

along with another evil generation .

Failure number two by god for failing in his flood efforts .

God or the Israelites continue failing many more millennium .

In may way if not all ways - Gods complete failure to appear is apex in 2019 .

• 2 weeks ago

They say God didn't CONDONE it, just ALLOWED it to happen.

But, this is the same God, in the same section of the stories, who turned Mrs. Lot into a pillar of salt for merely LOOKING in the wrong direction. Odd that the Bible God considers  looking in the wrong direction WORSE than F[intercourse]ING your drunk old dad.

Most likely, it was a myth, made up to explain why, even though their neighbors looked VERY MUCH like them, the Hebrews were supposed to treat them as fundamentally flawed, being the descendants of a couple  of skanky sex-crazed women.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Juli
    Lv 4
    2 weeks ago

I only speak about it if someone else brings it up.

I find that story ludicrous and full of holes.

The bible portrays the daughters as the aggressors, which is not surprising but it makes me want to puke.

Two girls got their dad wasted so they could have sex with them and get pregnant?

I call bullshit.

Lot was supposedly so drunk he didn't know what happened, right?

How did that freak get a ***** if he was so drunk?

The bible always blames the women for everything.

It's a filthy cult book.

• Not to mention Lot claimed his daughter were virgins to appease Men wanting to Know Lot 
      so Lot throws his virgins daughters up as a sacrifice to save his virgin  manhole .  The bible recommends you use virgin daughters to any would be rapist to avoid rape yourself . Skydady's not a good daddy .

• 2 weeks ago

Uncle Fester has best answer.

• barty
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

The issue is that Lot is called a just and righteous man and held up as an example for others, despite that story and despite the story where he offered his virgin daughters to a mob to be raped.

The standards for righteousness in the Bible are so low.

• A lot of wrong stuff is reported in the bible

• barty
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

And the people who carry it out are often lauded as righteous, and favorites of God.

• 2 weeks ago

I didn't bring it up. You did.

• 2 weeks ago

How do we learn about it though? Lot was innocent and the daughters lewd and craven. That's the problem. Lot offered these daughters up for rape to the crowd. But we learn only that Lot was basically raped.

By the way, a lot of other groups have this same criticism.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.