Zoe asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 weeks ago

Hi! Is there a time when you taught yourself something/learned something without formal schooling/training? ?

I am putting together a collection of inspiring self-learning experiences for an independent project at my University. 

Could be anything: learning to play the guitar from videos or a friend, figuring out how to do trigonometry, cooking by trial and error with the help of a few cook books, or struggling through taxes, ext… 

My goal is to compile these stories and inspire people to take their learning into their own hands. Thank you!

• 1 week ago

Good on you with the pedagogical leaning

Programs you’re putting together very well

Done!

Thanks

Very Best Wishes

Mars

Source:) Study

I learned how to fix cars at an early age.

How no money,but I did get a job working on cars,taxis and trucks.

I took on reading Gibbon's History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire - a two-year read. I'm about halfway through it now and bored, but it is something I want to finish. If you could only read one thing about history (mind you it spans 1500 years) that might well be it. And the guy, a very educated historian, is a hoot. He uses 18th century high English and you have to look words up on about every second page, but he has a dry wit and ruthless sense of both humor and honesty. He calls several of the Roman emperors jerks in a dry, quite proper, way, but he doesn't pull any punches either. Makes you laugh at times.

I'm not sure how long of a story you want.

==

Find an organization where you can get behind the mission statement, something that you feel you would like to do.

I worked as an administrative assistant in a cancer research center.  Every month I asked the database manager for a file I would use to send letters to long term survivors of a childhood kidney cancer.  I sent out letters to ten thousand people to ask for health updates.  I filed the incoming mail, I ordered office supplies and was kind of bored, so I went online to learn more about mail merges in my spare time.

There was a feature where you could insert an IF/THEN statement in the word processing template.  I thought it was totally fascinating that you could change sentences within the template depending on if the survivor was over 18, over 18 with a caregiver, or under age 18.  I became friends with the database manager and he developed a web based interface so I could pick the variables I wanted from the Oracle database.  He got the code for the web based interface from a friend at Amazon.  

I taught myself structured query language (SQL) by borrowing books from the database manager.  Pretty soon I helped automate templates my coworkers used.  They loved it.  I went back to the local university and after four classes I was promoted to Systems Analyst.  At a conference my professor introduce me to a recruiter for a bank; he said I was his best student ever and she gave me a card and urged me to call.  I liked my coworkers.  I could thrive in an organization where I could get 100% behind the mission statement. Right around then my database manager left for a job in Europe at a bank with roughly four times the salary he was getting at the cancer research center.

A few years later those funds in that project ran out.   I transferred to a different department regarding exercise, diet, and cancer.  I was an administrative assistant and got a cut in pay, yay!  I booked travel arrangements, ordered office supplies, and screened my bosses email.  I was bored and created an online database to hold over three hundred PDFs of my bosses scientific publications.  She liked it.  

I was invited to the manager meetings and prepared minutes.  Budget projections were really complicated and time consuming for the project managers.  I offered to help out and they gladly accepted by handing me paper documents.  I offered in their office without telling my boss.  Sigh. I went and rekeyed the data in a spreadsheet I made in my office. Six months later my boss asked me if I were preparing the budget forecasts.  I said yeah, in an Excel file on my computer, want to see?  She was kind of surprised but checked it out.  I asked, "could I please get access to the electronic dataset of the same data so I don't have to rekey it?  It's the same system we use to order office supplies."  

"Send the request with the correct budget numbers to the IT department and just cc me, we'll get it done today." was her ever efficient reply.  

Few years later I managed over 25 million dollars in grants dollars.  People left to start families and for better job offers.  I enjoyed learning how to submit huge grant requests to the federal government, and how to do subcontracts, and carryovers.   

Over time I got annoyed.  An automated computer process ran during the night and during the day we could only run reports based off of last night's data.  I heard the financial system was going to be on an upgrade so I asked to be on the group of people who could give input as the center developed a new Financial Management System.  A month later I spoke to the Manager on the FMS transition team.  I asked if we could an Oracle database so we could utilize views.  He had a degree in business management.  He scrunched his face up and said, "what?"  

"Let me talk to your developers," I said.  "I don't like that we have to run reports on last night's data, we should be able to draw our reports in real time. Just tell them they need to use an Oracle database and views."

"I will," he assured me.

Two months later they transitioned to Oracle.  We told the developers what information should to into which report.  We requested a feature so we could download delimited data.  We got it. 

This wasn't about the money I earned, and it wasn't entirely about the cool T-shirt I got with the FMS logo.  It was kind of about the corner office I got overlooking the lake.  It was really about the intrinsic delight I got when I solved a tricky problem to help someone else out.

==

I learned to perform oral sex on myself

• Snoopy

Sounds really cool. Have fun with it. Learning is always fun.