Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 3 weeks ago

i have a two part chemistry question i need help with?

1st part

A chemist has aluminum oxide and causes it to decompose into aluminum and oxygen gas. Please write the balanced decomposition reaction. You will have to figure out the chemical formula of aluminum oxide.

2nd part

Using your chemical reaction from #9, please calculate how many moles of aluminum are produced when 9.18 moles of oxygen are produced. 

Favorite Answer

That's hilarious.  I don't think any chemist causes aluminum oxide (Al2O3) to decompose into aluminum and oxygen gas.

That reaction is purely speculative and unlikely to happen.  You can, of course, write the hypothetical reaction, but understand that it isn't going to happen.

2Al2O3(s) --magic occurs--> 4Al(s) + 3O2(g)

.............. .................. ............? mol.... 9.18 mol

9.18 mol O2 x (4 mol Al / 3 mol O2) = 12.2 mol Al

Aluminum oxide- basically aluminum + oxygen, that’s all.

Now, oxygen likes to form 2- charges (it has six valence electrons and wants to get to eight so it gains two) and aluminum likes to form a charge of 3+ (to lose three electrons) so, we get the formula of Al2O3 (for every two aluminums you get 3 oxygens to balance out the charges). 

Since its decomposing, 

Al2O3 —> 2Al (s) + 3O (g)

(To balance it just make sure you have the same number of each atom on both sides.) 

Alright, next:

9.18 moles of O * (2 moles of Al / 3 moles of O) 

(I just used the ratio from the balanced chemical equation.) 

That’s basically it, if you need help, look at Tyler Dewitt’s and The Organic Chemistry Tutor’s videos. They have some pretty dope stuff there. Hope I helped! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• pisgahchemist
      2 weeks agoReport

Done in by a little ole' subscript. The common diatomic molecules: H2, N2, O2, F2, Cl2, Br2, I2.  What I tell my students are the "hairogens."

"h-" = hydrogen, "-air-" = oxygen and nitrogen, "-ogens" = the halogens.

• JetDoc

Do your own homework.