What happens if a police pull over an Orthodox Jew on Friday afternoon before Shabos?

If the Jewish guy is in a hurry to get home because he can’t drive past sunset. Can he leave if the police keeps him too long? What  

does he do. Does he leave the car and the police officer and walk home

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

The same carve outs that allow Jewish doctors to perform emergency surgery on Shabbat would come into play here. "Life comes first" is the English version of the Hebrew doctrine that allows ill, aged and pregnant people to eat on Yom Kippur and IDF soldiers to man their posts even on holy days. Walking home in the dark might be considered dangerous and so even an Orthodox Jew would allow himself to be driven home under such circumstances. The covenant between G-d and Abraham isn't a suicide pact. ;-)

• BMCR
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

The end result is that an Orthodox Jew will not drive his car on Shabbos.

How that is handled will be up to him and the police.

• 2 weeks ago

The police have no reason to care if HIS actions cause him to violate HIS religious practices. How he gets home is HIS problem.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

It depends on his specific beliefs.  My husband is an Orthodox Jew and will not ride in a motorized vehicle after sunset.  He could not call for a ride.  His brother (also an Orthodox Jew) will call for a ride, has no problem riding in a motorized vehicle past sunset.  I'm not Jewish, so guess who usually gets the phone call from my brother-in-law.

No, no one can pull away from a Police Officer based on religious beliefs.  I guess the Orthodox Jew pulls the car over and either gets a hotel room or walks home.

It is very difficult to remain an Orthodox Jew in today's modern world.

• BMCR
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

"It is very difficult to remain an Orthodox Jew in today's modern world."
      Actually, quite the contrary. The modern world makes it easier, especially if you live in an area where there are many other Jews.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.