Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 3 weeks ago

Do you think it is right to use shackles and chains for people going to court for minor offenses?

Last weekend I got arrested for the first time after getting into a fight. Had never been in jail or arrested before. I didn't cause any problems in the jail but was still put in handcuffs and leg shackles for going to court and a belly chain. I knew I would be getting bail so wouldn't do anything stupid. It just seemed too much for what happened and I felt bad for my parents seeing me in court like that and in jail uniform like I was a major criminal.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

It’s definitely embarrassing, probably the most embarrassing experience of my life. A while back I was arrested for a really minor crime, and spent a couple days in jail before they took me to court in all the chains. I’m a 5’7 girl and it felt like major overkill to make me wear leg shackles. Also, I wore high heels to my hearing so I could hardly walk. I honestly understand being handcuffed, and I was ok with that part, but the rest felt like it was just meant to humiliate...

• Joe
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

The sheriff officers have one job. Keep court personnel safe. Chaining up the idiots is the best, easiest way. 

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes, I think it's right.  So you were upset that your parents saw you in a jail uniform as opposed to being upset because they are aware you were arrested?

You didn't do anything stupid only because you "would be getting bail?"Interesting.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Let's hear the rest of the story.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Die rebel scvm!

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

They should treat every criminal the same when being transported.

If you don't like being treated like a criminal don't behave like one.

• 3 weeks ago

Not necessarily.  You were arrested for fighting and it's better to restrain you than risk something happening.

What I don't appreciate is that poor people are unfairly incarcerated when rich people can pay bail or fines and get set free.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.