Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 3 weeks ago

Do you think it is right to use shackles and chains for people going to court for minor offenses?

Last weekend I got arrested for the first time after getting into a fight. Had never been in jail or arrested before. I didn't cause any problems in the jail but was still put in handcuffs and leg shackles for going to court and a belly chain. I knew I would be getting bail so wouldn't do anything stupid. It just seemed too much for what happened and I felt bad for my parents seeing me in court like that and in jail uniform like I was a major criminal.

It’s definitely embarrassing, probably the most embarrassing experience of my life. A while back I was arrested for a really minor crime, and spent a couple days in jail before they took me to court in all the chains. I’m a 5’7 girl and it felt like major overkill to make me wear leg shackles. Also, I wore high heels to my hearing so I could hardly walk. I honestly understand being handcuffed, and I was ok with that part, but the rest felt like it was just meant to humiliate...

• Joe

The sheriff officers have one job. Keep court personnel safe. Chaining up the idiots is the best, easiest way. 

Yes, I think it's right.  So you were upset that your parents saw you in a jail uniform as opposed to being upset because they are aware you were arrested?

You didn't do anything stupid only because you "would be getting bail?"Interesting.

Let's hear the rest of the story.

Die rebel scvm!

They should treat every criminal the same when being transported.

If you don't like being treated like a criminal don't behave like one.

Not necessarily.  You were arrested for fighting and it's better to restrain you than risk something happening.

What I don't appreciate is that poor people are unfairly incarcerated when rich people can pay bail or fines and get set free.