Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 weeks ago

what's the meaning of "it washed over me."?

Hi,

In a tv show, there was a man who got fired, had financial troubles, and his wife cheated on him.

He was in very bad circumstances,

then he said "it washed over me. i went numb."

I searched for "washed over me" and I found that it means: [for a powerful feeling] to flood over a person.

But how does this meaning consistent with "I went numb"?

what does "washed over me" mean?

gives a metaphorical idea of drowning, of being overwhelmed by events.  One response to way too much input is to shut down for a while, to become numb in a way.  It is sort of like how you can severely injure yourself and not feel anything for a while.  The system goes into shock, refuses to even deal with all the information.  It is just too much to handle.

In effect, this guy is saying he was hit with a catastrophe and went into shock.  It is a pretty normal response.

• Lv 7

"numb" as in emotionally. he was stunned by it. as if it all "washed over him", like a wave of things all "attacking" him at once.

it's poetic writing, and really just a bunch of mixed metaphors and poetic phrasings. try not to take it literally.

A strong emotion, especially a negative one, can make you go numb just as strongly spicy food can make your mouth go numb. 

He probably meant that he realized his situation; the realization washed over him. It would have been clearer if he'd said that it "sunk in" or that it hit him.

It washed over him, and then he felt numb. The period separates the two feelings.