Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentCivic Participation · 3 weeks ago

French Revolution vs. Russian revolution? Why did one go towards a republic and the other communist?

I’ve realized these revolutions have a lot in common (weak monarchs, both executed, inequality within the lower classes, etc).

So I’m wondering why they both had different results at the end of their revolutions?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

IT DEPENDS ON WHO IS LEADING THE REVOLUTION HOW THINGS WILL TURN OUT

• Login to reply the answers
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The leaders of the French Revolution had more faith in the people than did the leaders of the Russian Revolution. France was an advanced nation at the time by global standards and even its peasants weren't isolated and ignorant. Russia had vast swathes of land populated by illiterate serfs, some of whom didn't even hear about the change of management in Moscow until many years after the event. So the French structure embraced its populace, trying to improve their lot in life without disrupting it utterly. Meanwhile Russia had do much catching up to do with the rest of the world that Lenin forced the serfs into factories and changed the entire social order of the country. France also didn't try to distance itself from the international community in the same way the Soviet leadership did. Fast forward many decades... Not since Napoleon was France considered an offensive military power. The USSR on the other hand collapsed in large part because its invasion of Afghanistan was so wildly unpopular with its populace.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

They were both Republics. 

• 3 weeks ago

Mainly when they happened. The French Revolution was before the idea of Communism.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

The French Revolution took it's inspiration from the American Revolution. The American Revolution of course, resulted in a Republic.

Although this being said, the French Revolution, from my reading came close to being the first hard core Leninist-style government (complete with the concept of ruling by fear for the good of the people). Headed by Maximilien Robespierre and Committee of Public Safety. Cooler heads prevailed and Robespierre became one of the last victims of the Reign of Terror he helped put into motion.

I would guess that Lenin read up on Robespierre and thought, "He's got something here..."

• 3 weeks ago

Two main reasons. 

1) There were over 100 years of political thought between the two revolutions.

2) The French Revolution was waged by the middle class against the aristocracy, but the Russian Revolution involved serfs who were literally fighting to survive. 

• 3 weeks ago

France was the new ally of the capitlalist USA

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.