phil asked in HealthMental Health · 3 weeks ago

Help with ocd?

It’s been a couple years now I been struggling with ocd. Sometimes it gets bad and other times it goes away. Sometimes I’ll be having unwanted thoughts In my head, and I gotta do something to make sure they don’t happen. I always gotta do stupid things like touching something a certain amount of time so something bad doesn’t happen, someone doesn’t walk out on me, or even just so my dreams come true. I know it’s so stupid and I even tell myself that but I can’t stop it. But earlier something weird happened. I have dreams of making it big in the music industry one day but ever since like an hour ago I don’t feel the same motivation I do, and when I look at things or think of things that would always motivate me, it’s like I know in my heart I still love and want it, but my mind is like blocking me from feeling anything. I wanna just escape from this and be happy, is this normal?

I used to have bad ocd and I can totally relate, I used to have to touch something a certain amount of times if I wanted something to happen so it's not weird. My therapist told me when I was young that I should focus on something I like, like a happy place, and try not to think of the urges because they just make it worse. That was when I was really young so I'm not sure if that'll help. I'm older now and sometimes when I get an urge to touch something or check something I tell myself that it can't affect what'll happen and that's helped me. For example, sometimes I get the urge to walk backwards in school or else something bad will happen, but I tell myself that's not possible. How could walking backwards make everyone get sick? Basically it's like an outsider perspective. I barely get any urges anymore so that might help! As for the not feeling motivation part, I'm not sure if that's related to ocd but it might just be something that'll pass? Sometimes you might get unmotivated and then get really motivated again so it may not be permanent. Hope this helps! 

The first thing is to stop saying and believing that you can't stop doing those things. Because it isn't true. You may not be able to do something, but you can always not do something. If you do those things, you are making the choice to do them. You need to get very clear about that.

And then, realize that every time you do what your OCD is urging you to do, you're reinforcing your OCD. You're making it a bit stronger. You are in effect demonstrating to your mind that the thing that it believes--that if you do X, you'll get outcome Y--is true. Because you've done X, and Y has happened, so your mind says, see, X caused Y.

Conversely, every time you choose not to do those things, you're disabling your OCD, making it a little bit weaker. You're demonstrating that there's no correspondence between action X and outcome Y.

So I believe that if you consistently refuse to do those OCD actions and endure the anxiety that comes up, you will gradually dismantle your OCD thinking.