DK439
Lv 4
DK439 asked in TravelUnited StatesSan Francisco · 2 months ago

Do you know what to expect walking around San Francisco?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Kev
    Lv 4
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Homeless people and the smell of weed. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • Jerry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It's OK to wear rain shoes, rain boots even with dressier clothes.

The weather is kind of damp a cool a lot of the time.There are a lot of Asian people.Asian foods are everywhere.You can get around really well on the mass transit, but don't need a BART pass unless you're leaving SF to go over to Oakland surrounding cities. I found the locals to be helpful when I was lost. Carrying a map and compass is most helpful though.I didn't have any problems finding clean public bathrooms.It's pretty much like any other big city. Golden Gate Park is worth spending time in. Fisherman's Wharf was no big deal except the carousel. The zoo was great and that $10 hamburger was the tastiest reasonably priced food I had the whole time I was there. 

• 2 months ago

SF is a great city for walking!  I've walked all over it--not all in the same day of course.  SF has its bad neighborhoods but nothing like Chicago or NYC or Wash. DC or Philadelphia.  There are places a woman should probably not walk alone at 2 AM, but no neighborhoods were I don't feel safe.

BTW I've never seen poop on the street.

• 2 months ago

Yes having lived in the city for almost 35 years.

I walked to work when I worked in offices a minimum of 3 miles each day.

Now I still walk the city leading walking tours.

I've pretty much seen everything the city can offer good and bad.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • L
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Depends where one walks.

The Financial District, South of Market, Embarcadero, Lands End, Golden Gate Park, Twin Peaks, Delores Park, Castro, North Beach and all the other local "designations" are all different... some are offices only, some are single family homes only, some are a mix of business and residential, some have lots of warehouses while there are no warehouses to be seen in other areas...

Do I know what to expect? Sure - in addition to understanding many of the neighborhoods, knowing the streets, sidewalks and sides of commercial buildings are filthy and there are hundreds (perhaps thousands) of homeless people and all the stuff they bring along, I have come to expect the unexpected.

• 2 months ago

I like seeing the rainbow flags, especially in and around Castro St.

• 2 months ago

I expect to walk up and down hills at some point

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

One of the joys of living in a city is when the unexpected happens - meaning in a good way.  One day there will just be a parade going by, you know?

• 2 months ago

I've lived and worked there for a while. I'd expect no surprises.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.