Should the heating elements turn off in my furnace when the blowers do?

I've noticed when the blowers for our central heat turn off, I still hear some quiet buzzing and clicking coming from the furnace. It's the same sort of sound I associate with the burners on the electric stove being on, which is what made me concerned that this may be a fire hazard. Sometimes the area around the furnace gets warm when this happens, but not every time. 

Here's the thing -- I've found in my research that a bad sequencer/relay can cause the elements to stay on indefinitely, but that's not what's happening here. They stay on for a few minutes after the blowers stop, then it cuts off on its own. Is this normal, or should I be concerned and call our AC guy?

• Mitch

The noise you are hearing may be a transformer humming. Elements on without the blower running will trip out fuse links or high limit switches.Unless someone has bypassed essential controls your furnace has safeties that will protect the unit. But by all means if you think there is a problem have a tech come out and check things out.

Sounds like your furnace controls might be messed up. The blower should run for a period after the heating coils are turned off to cool the heating elements. 

• Paul

In my heat pump the electrical heating elements go off and the blower keeps running for a few minutes.  Your situation sounds potentially dangerous to me.

Usually the blowers run for a period of time after the burners shut off.

• Kika3 weeks agoReport

This is doing the opposite -- the burners running after the blowers have stopped.