Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 weeks ago

Can they take it out themselves??

I was accidentally paid by a former employer and I told a manager about it and now it says the deposits that I got paid for by mistake are pending for a withdrawal when they were already deposited into my account.. could they just take it out of my bank instead? I don't get how they can just go in my bank and take out the deposits.. I was going to pay them back for the deposits that were accidentally given to me, but I don't like how they just went into my bank account and got it themselves...

Yes, they can do that.

It will show up again, rest assured.

This is common.. they put it in, they can remove it.

• Judy

If they put them IN by direct deposit, they can take them out the same way.

They didn't just "go into your bank account".    Your employer asked their payroll processor to reverse an electronic transaction that was made in error.  And by going through the payroll processor, all the various payroll items will be automatically corrected such as your YTD pay, YTD taxes paid, industrial insurance, retirement plan contributions, medical insurance premiums, etc. 

You gave them permission to correct electronic errors when you consented to electronic payment.   The money isn't yours and they do not have to wait for you to pay them back.  And you writing them a check doesn't fix all the other items that have to be fixed such as recalculation of your income, social security and medicare taxes and retirement plan contributions that your employer makes on your behalf.  You want your W-2 to be correct, right?   Or would you rather it said you made a bunch of money that you didn't make so you can pay taxes on it that you don't owe?

The things people get their knickers in a twist about...

• y

Deposits were made and then challenged or stopped. Those funds are instantly pending, if you withdrew on them, it's on you. You are responsible for knowing what is in you account and reporting errors.

• Lolly

Yeah; you don't get to steal that money.

• martin

Your bank has to respect mistakes made by depositors using your bank to transact business, following proof of your willingness to pay back money credited to your account accidentally.

Yep, that's what you agree to when you sign up for direct deposit.