784 asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 3 weeks ago

How can this quote be true?

I saw a quote saying that a general is only as strong as his weakest soldier. But if he has 10 soldiers in total, 9 of whom are super strong and one who is weak, why is he only as strong as the weakest one? Anyone care to explain?

• 5 days ago
    Favorite Answer

Because everyone must look out for the weakest man No matter how fast you can Run you can only goes as fast as the slowest person

the Military works as a team not and Individual

Source(s): Retired Warrant Officer 38 years in the Air Force
  • 5 days ago

General is a superior rank in army cause.

"Weak" here probably doesn't refer to physical strength but to both physical and mental capability. If one soldier makes a horrible mistake then yes, it can lead to disaster.

• Laurie

Because, just like an iron chain can break if there is one weak link, a weak team member can mess things up for everyone else on the team... including the team leader.

• martin

The saying about a general being only as strong as his weakest soldier is nonsense, and is used by slave-drivers to drill enlisted men to death, when it's completely unnecessary.

I am not sure but I don't care.

I think the quote exaggerates a bit, but the point is valid. If a group is dependent equally on each member, then the team is not any stronger that the weakest link/person. In many situations, that equal dependence does not exist so the saying would not be valid in those situations.

• David

It is the same for a chain that is only as strong as its weakest link.