My current tire is 235 /60r18 but when I check for my vehicle it suggests 235 65r17. Which would be best for my next tire?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    1 week ago

The tier company will only put on the size the door post information calls for, so you will be getting a 17 in the future. Their is only a half inch difference in tier over all size, the 17 mite mess your speedometer up, you will be off by about three miles an hour slower than what you really are going.

• don r
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

No 17 inch tire will fit your 18 inch rims. If you want to go to 17 inch tires, you will need a set of new rims to go with them. You might have your speedometer checked for accuracy the way the car is right now. User a GPS unit that displays vehicle speed and compare that with the speedometer. If they match, stop worrying about changing your wheel size. If the speedometer does not match the GPS speed, note the difference and abide by it, trusting what the GPS says. For example; If the speedometer says you're going 75 mph and the GPS says you're going 80, then 75 on the speedometer means 80.

• 2 weeks ago

You have 18" rims right now. 17" tires do not fit on `18" rims.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Lv 4
      2 weeks agoReport

good point; also, the 18s may have been a factory option; otherwise, compare the height of the specific tires to determine the size ratio, different sidewalls, inflation, etc could affect diameter(also note that significant treadwear changes diameter  

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

How many are 17? Your speedometer is set for 17. With 18, your speedometer will be wrong.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

If you have 18 inch wheels on your car, you MUST use 18 inch tires. If you want to go back to the factory original tire size, you'll have to change back to 17 inch wheels.

• John
      Lv 4
      2 weeks agoReport

Did the OP modify factory default? If true, shame on the OP.

• J J
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

Unless you have money to burn stay with the eighteens and have the speed o meter geared to the taller tires if needed. Better yet go to Tirerack.com and check the height of the two tire sizes, I'd bet they are so close you won't need any correction for the speed.

• John
      Lv 4
      2 weeks agoReport

The OP should take his ride to Discount Tire where there are tire experts.

• 2 weeks ago

You did not tell us what kind of a vehicle the tiles are going on, so we can not tell you what you need.  But you can not mix a 17 tires with 18 tires.  They all have to have the same radius.  You can not put a 17 on an 18 rim (or an 18 on 17 rim) so you would need to buy a time that fits your rim.

• 2 weeks ago

You will have to buy tires for 18 inch diameter wheels. 17 inch diameter won't work.

• John
      Lv 4
      2 weeks agoReport

Back in the day, a Chevy had 14" rims and a Ford had 15" rims. My new Jeep has 17" rims.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

You can't put a 17 inch tire on an 18 inch wheel

• 2 weeks ago

You've got two different diamters so if you go with what's suggested you'll have to buy wheels too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.