John asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

Should I be worried about a possibly tiny amount of broken glass in dishwasher?

So I was loading the dishwasher when I hit one of my tea cups against another glass in the dishwasher. It chipped off a bit of glass and fell to the bottom. I took all the dishes out, rinsed them and then vacuumed the floor and dishwasher door. I did not do anything with the racks though. I then put all the dishes back in and started the cleaning cycle. Today I used some of the dishes from the dishwasher but now I'm worried there could have been traces of glass in there that have now contaminated those dishes. What should I do?! Am I being too paranoid?

Favorite Answer

Dishwashers have a low point in the bottom called a sump. That sump catches all the heavy debris, there is a filter to stop hard objects from hitting the pump. That is where the glass shards would end up.

• y

Biggest danger would be cutting yourself as you empty out the catch screen. Next to that would be the danger to the pump, valve, and fins. I could see tiny pieces being tossed around during cleaning, that could potentially chip something. But beyond that, it will not contaminant your dishes.

• audrey

Yes You're being too paranoid. The cycle would have totally washed away any and all traces of glass if there even were any.

Use a towel to wipe the dishes off, should remove any tiny glass particles if the dishwasher hasn't alraady

Any glass left behind will now be in the filter at the bottom of the machine. Take it out, turn it upside-down over the sink and rinse it with running water. There won't be any on the dishes.

• John2 months agoReport

But the dishwasher was cleaning with the dishes still inside so is it possible the glass could have gotten stuck on something and not reached the drain?