Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 weeks ago

Is it true that it is not enough simply to be good with photoshop in order to design good covers for your books?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

That is true. You have to have some creativity to do the design as well as the technical skill with Photoshop.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes. If a writer could write beautifully, but could think of no ideas, they wouldn't be a good writer, or a writer at all. Cover designs, like any kind of design, require an artistic eye. You can be as good as you like with photoshop, but if you lack that your cover will still suck.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes, it is true. Commercial publishing companies employ people with years of training and college degrees in design to do this.

• 3 weeks ago

I would say it depends. If you're good with Photoshop, but suck at cover design, then no, it's probably not enough. But if you're good at cover design and Photoshop, then you should be able to make a decent cover.

It also depends on what sort of cover you're aiming for. If you're going for a high-end fantasy art cover, but can't draw to save your life, then it's unlikely that you'll be able to match a cover done by a professional cover artist, even with stock photos etc., but again; if you're good with Photoshop and cover art design, then chances are that it won't suck completely.

There are a lot of decent pre-made covers out there, and a lot of cover artist doing affordable generic covers which won't look as a child's copy-paste, so that's also worth considering. There are a lot of these on fiverr.com, but I would recommend that you do a Google reverse search on some of their images and read the reviews carefully, because I have seen some use copyrighted art.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Yes, just as being good with Microsoft Word doesn't make you a good novelist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.