How to stop blending languages?

I speak 5 languages

Korean,Japanese,English,French,Spanish

In that specific order from most fluent to least fluent.

But Idk why I tend to say things using combinationation of those languages.

So I can say something in English but slip in Spanish words for example. Idk if I just take to certain words. But it typically leaves me explaining what I had said to people. Luckily I do not tend to do this much between European/American languages and Asian languages...But I do it a lot between English-Spanish-French and between Korean-Japanese. Sometimes people understand because words often do sound similar between the languages that I speak. I have bilingual friends and they do not have this problem..for them it is like switching into different modes with their languages. But on the up-side I tend to learn languages pretty fast and easier then my friend. I am trying to understand what my brain is doing... I think that my brain is connecting parts of each language I speak into my 'go to language"...making them all connect and easier for me to remember..but also making it so that I bounce between them. What do you think?

I'd ask a medical doctor about it.  Seriously.

• Pontus

I cannot advise you. That's extremely rare (except when a person is tired, sick, stressed, hungry etc to an extreme).

I speak 5 languages to varying degrees as well.  To myself, I occasionally will mix two languages momentarily, but usually realize it right away.

In general, the sounds/syllables of my 5 languages (and of the ones you listed) are so different that mixing them feels wrong and is immediately noticeable.  The grammar also varies.

French & Spanish, of your 5, are the closest to each other, but still the grammar differences are striking enough to make keeping them separate rather easy.

I truly don't understand how you can be mixing them on a regular basis.

Source(s): mine: native English speaker; taught French; intermediate German, Italian, & Japanese. Studied linguistics, read many articles on many languages, including all of yours.
  • Zirp

Most people eventually learn to keep them separate

It's all down to vocabulary. When that Korean word for pyjamas or butterflies or nihilism or teapots does not immediately come to mind, your brain wanders towards the French or Spanish word, and an impulse tells you to just use that for now.

5 languages are a lot to maintain. Retaining your fluency in that many languages requires you to use them, and speak them, on a regular basis... and most of us do not have the time or the means to regularly visit five different countries.

You will probably continue to let words from language A to slip into language B or C or D or E. The only two things that can change that are experience over time, and rigorous study. Of course, most of us have too many other things to do besides refreshing our language skills. If you can be understood in 5 different languages, even with a few slip-ups, you're doing very well.