Which medicine should I take?

I have been sick with the flu for a few days now and it seems like I am nearing the end of the illness. I mostly have an extremely annoying cough that is dry and nasal congestion. I have a cough medicine that is children's Dimetapp that expired about 3 months ago. I just got one today that is adult Robitussin and it is a suppressant and expectorant. What would be more effective? I am a 27 year old female.

Favorite Answer

As a nurse, I want you to know that the children's syrup 3 months past exp. would be OK to take. On the adult syrup, the suppressant does just that... it works from the brain to suppress cough somewhat a little bit but not totally... why? You want your body to fight off the infection by forcing the lung muscles to contract and keep the infection residue moving around and back out, the expectorant helps you to do that.

I wish you well.

• Lili

Why would you want to take a medicine for children that's expired?  It won't harm you, but what's the point when you have a fresh bottle of medicine for adults available?

What an odd question.

• patty

when I was sick I used to go to bed all rugged up and I would sweat and my sickness would go quicker

Assuming you're generally healthy, vodka or whiskey. I'm not joking, either. If you don't suppress that cough and get rid of it fast, you'll be hacking uncontrollably for 4-6 weeks, at least. 

The Robitussin should help.

How about you stop abusing your immune system and get a humidifier?

• Andy C
      3 weeks agoReport

Exactly,  and stop eating sugar and other sources of fructose so you can have a decent immune system and get a freaking flu shot!